Community discussions

MikroTik App

mokopunamax
just joined
Topic Author

My Winbox is using multiple telnet loggins

Tue May 03, 2022 1:28 am

Hi Peoples,

Looking for help with my computer's Winbox using multiple loggins when logging into a unit with Winbox.
It logs in regularly via Winbox with my current IP address then follows the login with ~18 via telnets loggins with the same IP address.
I have attached a picture of the log displaying it.
This happens with all units I log into and is often overloading the CPU of many older MikroTik units and crashing them.
Looking to find the cause and a solution to stop it.
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: My Winbox is using multiple telnet loggins

Tue May 03, 2022 3:02 am

When you open Terminal, it shows as telnet login (in v6, in v7 it's "local"). So it looks like you have saved session with many open terminals.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 03, 2022 3:04 am

Telnet is not necessarily the most secure method of accessing your router.
Can you use winbox or SSH instead??

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 03, 2022 5:09 am

When you open Terminal, it shows as telnet login (in v6, in v7 it's "local"). So it looks like you have saved session with many open terminals.
It's definitely this - if you have autosave session on (which it is by default) and as you go instead of looking for your old terminal window behind all the others, you just open a new, in time you have ~10 open, and it saves that session layout so re-opens them next login via winbox, which they all are counted as 'telnet' logins (on v6)

You can use the new 'Windows' list at bottom of the winbox menu to see all your open windows, or Session->Close All Windows to start it from scratch. I personally have a few session files saved for my default layout and then turn off 'auto save on close' so it resets back to that layout every time I open.

mokopunamax
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 04, 2022 3:33 am

Awesome thanks guys, that's cleared it all up :D
Many thanks.