Community discussions

MikroTik App

balancer
just joined
Topic Author

Best ACCESS POINT

Tue May 03, 2022 3:11 am

Hello. i have 200 mbps average connection speed with load balancing. i want to ask you guys advice for ACCESS POINT / MESH device.

as an expert / professional, what is your best advice for access point? ( in my house i have arround 18-20 device using 2.4 Ghz and 3-5 device only able to connect 5 ghz. )

connection speed is 200-300 mbps. ( 3 different ISP load balanced on mikrotik HEX S router)

i think this post might be guide for other users either.

Best Regards

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best ACCESS POINT

Tue May 03, 2022 3:27 pm

Send me an email as will not recommend other products on MT forum.............. that should tell you enough ;-)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 03, 2022 3:39 pm

While I 100% understand anav's motivation (I really do), it not only depends on your ISP connection but other requirements as well.

I am quite happy with my MT wireless devices at home (as I look at it now, 10 wired and 16 wireless clients). Even use quite a bit of mAP / hAP / hAP AC2 and AC3 in work environment.
But nowhere do I have > 200Mbps outbound connections available (at home being the largest pipe, at work it's 80M max, mostly 70M).

When really doing mass-data-transfer (e.g. daily backup of 5Gb worth of data towards internal NAS), those devices are wired on 1Gb connections.
I'm smart (and old) enough not to rely on Wifi for that.

Point I want to make: your requirements are not clear enough.
Number of clients and wireless frequency alone is not enough to determine what is best FOR YOU.
There never will be a single and best for everyone access point.

And yes, at the end it might be that MT is not the best for your purpose. That's simply a fact, whether someone likes to hear it or not.

A Porsche or Lexus is not suitable for everyone either :lol:

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 03, 2022 4:08 pm

I was not going to comment until your last ridiculous line.
One does not need to spend over the top to get decent wifi...........
In fact what I replaced my Capacs with was actually cheaper!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 03, 2022 4:31 pm

I was not going to comment until your last ridiculous line.
OK, Dacia or Lada are not for everyone either.
Better like that ?
:D

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 03, 2022 4:36 pm

I was making the point that you were implying that one had to spend a ton of money to get decent wifi5 or even the newer wifi 6 and that MT was the only cost effective option. Not true. I will continue to state, I am looking forward to using RoS with WIFI6 or 6E or 7, but until then.....................

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 03, 2022 4:37 pm

I am aware.
But it keeps surprising me how people are striving for max performance and max speed and whatnot ... while all they mostly do is browse for the news on their phone.
I don't get it.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 03, 2022 4:41 pm

I am aware.
But it keeps surprising me how people are striving for max performance and max speed and whatnot ... while all they mostly do is browse for the news on their phone.
I don't get it.
True dat!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 03, 2022 5:22 pm

I not understand...

As WISP, i have thousands of user than on the past using tp-link, d-link, tenda, frixbox, zyxel, ubiquiti, deliberant, ligowave, <something forgot>, <add toys here>, etc.
They are just pain in the ass!!!
I was fed up with autonomous "resets" of the usual geeks, configurations that get lost if there is a power surge, external buttons that deactivate the wifi,
dedicated wan and lan ports, automatic channels that what have of automatic is just the pain in the ass, and others similar bullshit.
And I didn't mention the painful internal software...

With MikroTik I have achieved inner peace.
Obviously the disconnected plugs cannot be blocked, but when you put serious devices, like hAPac^2, hAP​​ac^3, Audience, etc. (just to name a few),
people are happy, they surf the whole house and they don't bother anymore.
And in addition, if you need assistance, do you want to compare the nothing of the possibilities of other manufacturers with the tools provided by RouterOS?

Those who work with that every day, and don't play with it just in house, know the difference...

Work feeds me and my family, in such a competitive world, if you don't do things right, you're ruined...

To be precise, on outdoors, as an access-point, I use Cambium products, until MikroTik does some "Audience" products from outside...
The worst MikroTik product are the SMPIS "line", like "hAP lite" / RB941-2nD ...

But for PTP, Base Station and CPE I still use MikroTik "ac" products.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 03, 2022 7:09 pm

I'm not an expert on wifi products from MikroTik, but I have done a large rollout. I used about twenty wAP ac units and two NetMetal ac2 units. We covered a campus of about ten buildings. Client had 30/30 fiber to the premises in a remote area. However, I've not used MikroTik in wifi in noisy (radio interference) areas to confirm what others are saying. I control the power on the units, and stagger the channels to prevent co-channel interference and overlap, at least from each other. I also don't have experience with high user count like what Ruckus is made for. I respect the statements that TPLink is a better performant product.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 03, 2022 10:19 pm

I am talking home wifi or in an apartment or bar, please dont confuse my comments to any PtP wispy stuff. :-)
The discussion is access points not base stations CPEs or PtP.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 03, 2022 11:16 pm

@balancer
For reliable wifi that can fully exploit your bandwidth for all your users the only mikrotik product I can recommend is the Audience using the wifi2 drivers running under RoS 7. The very best wifi currently is made by Netgear called the Orbi but it is expensive …after the Orbi I suggest TP-Link EAP640HD.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 04, 2022 1:21 am

Since the topic title is "Best Access Point" I'm gonna say that the best one I had so far and still using is Cisco 3802.