MikroTik App

jeffschips
just joined
Topic Author

wAP LTE upgrade issue because of ip assignment

Wed May 04, 2022 7:14 am

Hello.
Just purchased the wAP LTE kit US
The mikrotik has a hard-coded ip address of 192.168.88.1 but my local wireless and wired network is 192.168.50.0/24.
I know how to access the mikrotik via direct connection to laptop but doing so requires me to drop my routable 192.168.50.xx ip address so I can access 192.168.88.1. That's fine but how does Mikrotik expect users to upgrade the software when, in this scenario, there is no access to internet because my sub-net is 192.168.50.0/24, my internet router is 192.168.50.1 and Mikrotik LTE is 192.168.88.1
This is a pretty common scenario and I'm baffled that Mikrotik does not provide guidance on this issue.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP LTE upgrade issue because of ip assignment

Wed May 04, 2022 12:03 pm

You know than on your laptop you can put two address on interface?
-or-
If you use Ethernet for reach internet, use Wireless for wAP LTE,
-or-
If you use Wireless for reach internet, use Ethernet for wAP LTE,
-or-
With Winbox and wAP LTE connected to your network, use Winbox with MAC address.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 04, 2022 1:56 pm

Whatever network device from whatever vendor you buy, will have a default config.
Some use DHCP, some use fixed IP.
This is not new and not only with Mikrotik.

Please don't take this wrong but if you are unable to solve this, then I think you might have other issues further down the road using this device.

There IS clear and simple documentation on how to setup this device.
Did you read it ?
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... kit-series

The first thing it mentions is to connect your local network to ethernet port using POE injector and then connect to the device using Wifi with the default "Mikrotik-<something>" SSID.
From there on it should be smooth sailing ...

jeffschips
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2022 12:12 am

Pardon me I thought this was the beginners forum. If I'm in the wrong spot please advise. Granted, I'm not a cisco certified engineer but it seems this level of questioning should be allowed in the beginner's section without canceling because of the author's ignorance.

I believe the instructions could be more clear and it's not because I'm a newbie it's because the documentation was written by someone who is not proficient in English. To wit, here are the instructions which if followed as written and can result in an Ethernet cable being connected to the mikrotik router, another ethernet cable being connected to another unspecified port (Mikrotik or switch or another home/office router?) It is unclear :

Verbatim instructions from Mikroti follow:
Remove bottom cover;
Insert the SIM card into the slot;
Connect Ethernet cable to the port;
To be clear it should state: "Connect an Ethernet cable to a port on the Mikrotik device" Since we are talking about devices (home/office router as well as a mikrotik router this requires clarity)
Connect Ethernet cable to the PoE injector;
To be clear the technician needs to specify which cable they are speaking of - the cable just connected to the port on the Mikrotik device or some other port/cable on another device? As written these instructions can result in 1) an ethernet cable being connected to the Mikrotik device, 2) a separate cable being connected to the PoE injector with neither of them connected to anything else, they are just hanging out there blowing in the breeze. Point being the instructions are NOT clear, result in confusion and not intentionally so but because the instructions are written by a person already very versed in the setup without an understanding that people from various levels of expertise - or lack thereof including those in this beginner's forum - are working with their product(s). This is not a criticism but I see these kind of sloppy technical instructions all over the internet by people who assume their reader has the same level of expertise. If Mikrotik wishes to market to people other than those with Cisco certifications it behooves them to produce clear and concise documentation. It is just arrogant to assume all beginners know how to fill in the blank spots in their sloppy instructions. Sorry

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 05, 2022 12:31 am

Must be me because to me those instructions are pretty clear.
And I'm not a native English speaking person either (double translation since I do not understand Latvian).

The instructions are for the WAP device so OFCOURSE it refers to the ethernet port of THAT device.
Since WAP does not have an own power supply, you need to go with the POE injector (which should be in the package).

If you think it's normal an ethernet cable is blowing in the breeze, as you say, you should refrain from using any network equipment. My view. But ok, everybody had to learn sometime ...

From your network or ISP modem, one ethernet cable connecting to the POE injector.
From the POE injector a cable going to WAP. Don't forget the power supply for the POE injector.
Now that perceived confusion has been cleared ...

Did the device power on ? Yes/No ?
Did you connect your PC to the wireless signal transmitted by WAP ? Yes/No ?
If so, did you open Winbox and have you tried to connect to 192.168.88.1 ? Yes/No ?
Still in Winbox, did you use the section Neighbors, was the device visible there ? Yes/No ?

jeffschips
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2022 1:18 am

So here in America our ISP's call their box a "modem" that then connects to a "router" which handles all local network connections.
I'm guessing when you say "From your network or ISP modem, one ethernet cable connecting to the POE injector." you mean "insert an Ethernet cable, one end into the ISP-provided modem (which will give me a public - not private - IP address) and the other end into the WAP.

Correct?

The phrase "blowing in the wind" does not mean actually blowing in the wind like a kite - it means the thing (whatever it is) has no purpose.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 05, 2022 1:39 am

So here in America our ISP's call their box a "modem" that then connects to a "router" which handles all local network connections.
I'm guessing when you say "From your network or ISP modem, one ethernet cable connecting to the POE injector." you mean "insert an Ethernet cable, one end into the ISP-provided modem (which will give me a public - not private - IP address) and the other end into the WAP.

Correct?
Yes, ethernet cable directly in WAP if it has a separate power supply option, or via POE injector which then supplies power through that cable (surprise, that's why they call it Power Over Ethernet or POE).
The phrase "blowing in the wind" does not mean actually blowing in the wind like a kite - it means the thing (whatever it is) has no purpose.
I perfectly know what that phrase means.
I had an imagine in my mind of a cable with the two ends simply dangling in the air ...

I even know what a kite is. I made them myself when I was a kid.

jeffschips
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2022 1:57 am

Thank you. I can now access the device.
Here is a suggestion (don't know if you work in MikroTik or not but this would be helpful for English-speaking users when reading the instructions)

The instructions for Quick Guide G15 wAP LTE kit US use the following instructions in the quick guide which is the device I have:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... +Guide+G15
First steps:
Remove bottom cover;
Insert the SIM card into the slot;
Connect Ethernet cable to the port;
Connect Ethernet cable to the PoE injector;
Connect included power adapter to the PoE;
Connect to the wireless network;
Open the web browser and connect to the device, the IP: 192.168.88.1, user name: admin, no password;
Use the check for updates option and update the device to the latest software version, must have a valid SIM card inserted;
The above is very confusing. However the instructions for the wAP-series are much more clear and follow in your footsteps, even though it's not the device I'm using
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... sy%20steps.
[/code]
Quickstart
Use a Phillips head screwdriver to loosen the screw, which secures the bottom lid;
Choose your powering solution, please see the Powering section for possibilities;
Plug the included PoE injector into the ISP outlet and attach an Ethernet cable to it. Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to this MikroTik router. Plug the provided power supply into the PoE injector;
Wireless AP mode is enabled by default, you can connect from your computer to the SSID that begins with "MikroTik". The configuration interface is available via a web browser. The address is https://192.168.88.1;
Once connected to the wireless network, open https://192.168.88.1 in your web browser to start the configuration;
User name: admin and there is no password by default you will be logged in automatically to the Quick Set screen;
We recommend clicking the "Check for updates" button on the right side and updating your RouterOS software to the latest version to ensure the best performance and stability;
I am using linux and webcfg I found Neighbors under "ip" | "Neighbors" but it shows nothing. I'm assuming that's because there is no working sim card installed yet, correct?
Clicking "apply upgrade" does nothing. If you don't mind giving me the terminal command I can run it that way to see if I have real internet connectivity yet.
Thank you.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 05, 2022 3:24 am

Your description is full of errors, more than the MikroTik ones..

Use a Phillips head screwdriver to loosen the screw, which that secures the bottom lid;

Plug the included PoE injector into the ISP outlet <WHAT END?> and attach an Ethernet cable to it <TO THE ISP OUTLET?>.
Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable <WHAT CABLE?> to this MikroTik router <I HAVE ANOTHER?>.
Plug the provided power supply into the PoE injector <WIRELESS power supply? not need to attach it to the house power plug?>
you can connect from your computer to the SSID that begins with "MikroTik" <I HAVE A DESKTOP PC WITHOUT WIFI, AND NOW?>

The configuration interface is ALSO available via a web browser.
The address is https://192.168.88.1 <FALSE, is not httpS>

Once connected to the wireless network <and if I'm on wired network?>, open https://192.168.88.1 <still FALSE, is not httpS>

Just to notice them a little...

jeffschips
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2022 4:28 am

Don't know what you are talking about - I only copied and pasted the mikrotik documentation. If http(s) is there they put it there.

No worries - I'm returning the mikrotik router since there is nothing but hate language on this forum for beginners. If this is the beginners forum I'd be sorely pressed to attend the advanced one.

have a good eveing.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 05, 2022 9:28 am

If you take this as hate language, I could show you some other places but what's the point ?
Certainly must be my lack of understanding of English as a non-native speaker, since you seem to point towards the language barrier each time.
Typically American 8)
(that's a joke, in case you missed it)

Generally there is a rather supportive spirit around here.
But what's really hard to find here is spoon feeding. Doesn't help anyone.

You failed to mention before you're using Linux. Most people use Wine and run Winbox under that environment. Already tried to use that ?
Not having a SIM card inserted will prevent the device from (default) accessing WAN/internet but local network should be available.
Have you tried connecting the device directly to your computer (unplug from ISP modem, plug that cable in your PC, if default config is correct it should give your PC a DHCP IP address in the range 192.168.88.0/24). It should show up in Winbox neighbors.
If using webconfig (webfig), the address to be used is 192.168.88.1.
Default account admin, no passwd (if you get in, CHANGE it immediately).

@rextended: that first sentence IS correct English. Your version is a common mistake :lol:
To his defense: what jeffschips showed, is copy-paste from Mikrotik instructions.
We are all aware their instructions could use some ... ermmm ... let's call it "cleaning up".
Since you have access to "the inner circle" maybe you can point that https error out to MT-staff ? As far as I know https access is default disabled ? No ?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 05, 2022 10:12 am

eveing.
Evening?... :lol:

:roll:
Ok, sarcasm in another language than the native one is not easy...

I want show only that excessive details on instruction can be excessive
and is possible criticize any insignificant details.

(About inner circle, I'm a forum user, not a MikroTik developer.)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 05, 2022 10:16 am

(About inner circle, I'm a forum user, not a MikroTik developer.)
I know you're a mere mortal like the rest of us :lol: (hmmm ... cats do have nine lives, no ?) but surely there is a private environment where you can pass info to others who are working for Tik ?
At least it was like that on the phpbb environment I used to moderate for in the past ...

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 05, 2022 10:01 pm

Hello.
Just purchased the wAP LTE kit US
The mikrotik has a hard-coded ip address of 192.168.88.1 but my local wireless and wired network is 192.168.50.0/24.
I know how to access the mikrotik via direct connection to laptop but doing so requires me to drop my routable 192.168.50.xx ip address so I can access 192.168.88.1. That's fine but how does Mikrotik expect users to upgrade the software when, in this scenario, there is no access to internet because my sub-net is 192.168.50.0/24, my internet router is 192.168.50.1 and Mikrotik LTE is 192.168.88.1
This is a pretty common scenario and I'm baffled that Mikrotik does not provide guidance on this issue.
You could access via Mac Address using Winbox?
The 192.168.88.1 is not hard-coded, you can reset the device with no default configuration and do whatever you want with configuration.