Community discussions

MikroTik App

aantonio86
just joined
Topic Author

Can't make Cloud works on a VPN

Wed May 04, 2022 2:56 pm

Hi Guys.
Ive create a VPN (l2tp) and Cloud pings normally, works on everything least VPN.
VPN only works if i set the ip address, but, this ip address is dynamic and i have 2 links on thie RB.
Any clue to solve this problem?
Thx

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Can't make Cloud works on a VPN

Thu May 05, 2022 4:16 am

Hi Guys.
Ive create a VPN (l2tp) and Cloud pings normally, works on everything least VPN.
VPN only works if i set the ip address, but, this ip address is dynamic and i have 2 links on thie RB.
Any clue to solve this problem?
Thx
Unfortunately I dont 100% comprehend the questions but I think I can put it together, my interpretation is that you have a VPN server with 2 wan links with separate IP addresses and what you would like is that clients can connect through either of these IP addresses depending on what is up and there is no static IP address?

So for the dynamic IP address this can be sorted out relatively easy, on the server if you go to IP/cloud and enable this service you should receive a DNS name, this is DDNS name provided from Mikrotik from their ip cloud service that your client will be able to use rather than the IP address.
If you have not got allow established related on the input chain of your firewall you might need to add the 2 cloud server addresses as an accept rule for this to work. More information can be found here:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Cloud
So once this has been set up on your server all you need to do on the client end is put in that name rather than the IP address in the connect to spot for the vpn client interface.

For the dual wan, in this situation depending on how everything is set up it is possible that packets come in from wan1 and go out wan2, this will break a stateful firewall as well as any secure connections like vpn. This causes issues since the return traffics source will be from wan2 rather than wan1 and once the router or end device inspects this it either will not know what to do with it or it will not accept it.

To fix this you will need to make use of policy routing but this will be different depending on what version of OS you are running, are you able to let us know if you are running version 6 or 7 so we can better help with this part?