Community discussions

MikroTik App

dm7
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS upgrade - now can't login

Thu May 05, 2022 1:38 am

Hi...

So I'm not great with Mikrotik stuff, and am no expert, but have been working with wifi / Networking and IT since the mid ninties...

I have two PtP links on my network

1) A 60GHz wireless wire (or whatever it's called) - That works OK with minimal configuration.
2) a 5Ghz link which is problematic

So the problematic link... DFS Radar problems, I've watched various youtube videos as to why it's there, and how to get around it, but I'm getting nowhere in solving the problem.

Initially the link would drop every every 0.5 - 2 hours, and take about 20 minutes to reconnect. The nearest 2 radars to me are both over 100km away, and my link is happy running on 3dbm, so I guess the system is detecting false positives.

So I tried everything:- changing frequency, changing country, even setting no country and selecting out of band frequencies... nothing helped... Even when I was selecting a legal configuration, the DFS system was picking up radar on different frequencies than I was using, and still dropping the connection...

Setting frequency selection and power selection to auto seemed to give be the best improvement (the drop outs are at similar intervals, but it reconnects within 1 minute)

SO...

I bit the bullet and did a firmware upgrade! Expecting problems... ...and I got them...

So now the link seems stable (well the ping has only been running an hour, so it could still drop out), but I can't reconnect to the radios through winbox... They don't show up in the Neighbours tab, and manually entering their IP or mac address still gives me a "could not connect" error.

But no problem pinging both ends of the bridge from the same PC.

Winbox doesn't see an upgrade available (it's on 3.35), it's running under wine on Linux (I don't have a windows PC here), but it was working fine before the firmware upgrade (the winbox client is untouched, and on the same version).

I can't give you details of the firmware versions before and after the upgrade, as I can't login...

Can anyone help?

Damian

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RouterOS upgrade - now can't login

Thu May 05, 2022 3:45 am

EDIT:
woops forgot about the main point of this topic :P if you are unable to log in through IP address please download winbox from Mikrtoiks softwere page, once you have the application please open it and click on the neighbours tab, in here it will show Mikrotik devices that winbox is able to discover via layer 2.
If you see your device try double clicking on the mac address to auto fill it to the connect to box then try an log in with your credentials.

If you are unable to see your device while directly plugged in and manualy inputting the mac address does not work I might suggest compleatly wiping the device by use of the netinstall tool: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall
This will completely reflash the OS as well as you have the option to wipe the configuration so you can hopefully connect back into the device using the mac method and configure it from there, please note that netinstall does not like virtual switch adapters so please disable any on the PC you are using.

Original post:
I would first recommend looking through the following wiki page to see what frequencies your country has flagged as DFS channels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
From there I would also recommend doing a wireless scan from each side of the link to see what is the lest used frequency in this range, if it is like in Australia you will not find a free spot in the 5ghz DFS free space since it is sparse but it is still best to pick the least used one.

From there make sure you have the interface set to use regulatory domain for its frequency mode then set it to your country and from there hopefully it will not say that is is scanning once you enable it, if you would like you can also set the frequency to auto then tick the 'skip dfs channels' option to make sure the radio does not use the,.
If this interface still has the DFS scanning when you enable the interface I would probably recommend opening up a ticket with Mikrotik to make sure that they are only scanning on the frequencies that require it,from webfig or winbox there is an option on the main menu on the left hand side that says make supout.rip use this then download the file from the files like and send it off to mikrotik.

a supout will contain a snapshot of the router, this will include the full configuration other than the user config, 'dynamic' configuration like if your dhcp client has a lease etc as well as all the statistics and logs reported from the Mikrotik. Please DO NOT post supouts here on the forum, only post exports with using the hide sensitive switch as well as manually removing any public IP addresses you think are sensitive :)