Community discussions

MikroTik App

DrJoe
just joined
Topic Author

Virtual Access Point using a different authentication method.

Sat May 07, 2022 3:51 am

I need to use an old Netgear router as a bridge to a small workroom where computers are repaired and stored. There is no ethernet close to this room, and it was added on to the outside of the building, so there is not a good way to run a wire. Unfortunately, the Netgear needs to use WEP instead of WPA2 which is what we use for main wireless access. I want to create a VAP but use WEP as its authentication. Is this possible? My goal is to keep these computers "live" so that I can remote into the network and keep them updated so that they can be brought into service quickly if one of our stations fails. Budget is very limited and I already have these Netgear routers. I know can cheaply use USB wifi adapters, but I really like the idea of knowing that the ethernet interface is working, and I also like expanding my RouterOS knowledge. Thanks for your time in answering this.

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Virtual Access Point using a different authentication method.

Sat May 07, 2022 5:36 am

Hello,
It should be fine.
1.png
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 07, 2022 4:03 pm

As @own3r1138 wrote, each VAP can have different security settings, so it should be possible to have WEP.

Beware that generally using different vendors' equipment to build wireless bridge between two wired islands, parts of same broadcast domain, usually doesn't work. It all starts with DHCP clients unable to obtain IP address (if DHCP server is on the other wired island), there are other problems. So what you're up to might proove impossible to achieve. Using equipment by single vendor usually makes it possible.

DrJoe
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 07, 2022 11:42 pm

Thanks for the confirming for me what I thought I had read in the tutorials. I will give this a go and see if I can make it work. I report either success or failure in this thread, but may take a while since I am possibly going to have some surgery in the immediate future.

own3r1138
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun May 08, 2022 2:07 am

Sure, I hope you feel better soon.