Community discussions

MikroTik App

zoumpoulakis
just joined
Topic Author

IPv6 SLAAC - Too many IPs on devices

Sun May 08, 2022 11:09 pm

I am using PPPoE and DHCPv6 client to get an /56 (dynamic) from my ISP. The client creates a dynamic pool with prefix length /64.
I have configured an IPv6 address as "::/64", which is automatically filled when I receive a prefix.
I don't use DHCPv6 server, just ND/Interfaces so my devices get an IPv6 address via SLAAC.

I have noticed that if the prefix changes for a reason (uplink disconnection) or if the prefix lifetime is over, my clients don't "forget" their already owned IPv6 addresses. So after some days, I see the following:
SCR08052022.jpg
This happens to all my devices. I am sure I'm missing something on my IPv6 configuratuion on Routerboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: IPv6 SLAAC - Too many IPs on devices

Mon May 09, 2022 1:17 am

This is a normal behavior and is designed to protect your privacy online. It's a function of Windows (and other operating systems) and is not due to a setting on the MIkroTik.

The temporary addresses will eventually expire and are called "privacy extensions"

https://www.internetsociety.org/resourc ... pv6-slaac/

zoumpoulakis
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2022 7:17 pm

Thanks.

I wonder if there's a way, when my router loses a dynamic prefix before expiration (e.g due to PPP disconnection), to inform all clients to stop using any addresses on that prefix.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 10, 2022 7:26 pm

The mechanizm is that devices receive new prefix (after a few tens of seconds, depending on RA periodicity) and start using new addresses for new connections. Existing connections in theory keep using old addresses but in practice break even before getting new address because routers on the way discard packets (or mis-route them). So at the end devices start using new prefix pretty quickly even without explicit prefix depreciation notification.

zoumpoulakis
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2022 8:04 pm

I get it. Can I optimize it by adjusting the following?
Do you recommend any values?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 10, 2022 9:21 pm

You can shorten lifetime, setting it to fraction of observed prefix validity as delivered by ISP (one quarter or one third should be fine, don't nake it shorter than a few minutes not to cause IPv6 address outages).

But I don't think it will help much. I don't have first hand experience, all "my" sites either have static prefix or ISPs don't bother changing it if site GW router is alive, but I guess IPv6 downtime will be in order of a minute (give or take) if prefix changes in any case.