Community discussions

MikroTik App

cmada
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN with VRRP problems

Wed May 11, 2022 9:11 am

I'm trying to set up two CCR2116-12G-4S+ with redundancy via VRRP. It is important that I also set them up with VLAN, so for this, I add VLAN to the physical interface and then assign VRRP to each VLAN. When I add VRRP only, backup router shows it is backup in the interface list as expected. But when I add VLAN and then assign VRRP to said VLAN, both machines show that they are now running master. Why does this happen?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN with VRRP problems

Wed May 11, 2022 11:12 am

Such a configuration (VRRPs on multiple VLANs on the same bridge or standalone L2 interface) is fully legal so what you experience must be a misconfiguration or a bug. A non-obvious thing I could think of are firewall rules not allowing incoming VRRP traffic on the VLAN interfaces; if it's not that, post the complete configuration, following the anonymization hint in my automatic signature below.

busty

Re: VLAN with VRRP problems

Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:12 pm

i think i have same/similar issue with VLANs and VRRP. i tried several configuration option. unfortunately without any luck.
i had time just to run torch so far. it can run several minutes without any issue but then IGMP packet ( 224.0.0.22 ) destined to GW IP and at the same time also vrrp packet (224.0.0.18) in segment is received and both routers are "RM" at the same time. sometimes flapping sometimes incorrectly stable in "RM".
routers don't have same OS version now but it was like that even before with old router - we stopped using it for a while but redundancy is sometimes needed.
we have 2116 and 4011 Mikrotik routers connected to EdgeSwitch with multiple VLANs. IGMP is disabled on switch but if multicast is within same VLAN it should work with or without IGMP.