Community discussions

MikroTik App

quintonv
just joined
Topic Author

Proxy caching

Wed May 11, 2022 4:55 pm

Hi

I am hosting a event at a mall this weekend and have a simple LTE router LTAP running for wifi. We require users to download our app from the app stores but this will incur quite a cost and require loads of bandwidth if many people download all at the same time.

I thought I could get around this by enabling the web proxy but I can't transparently proxy ssl required by the app stores on users phones. Is there a way I can cache the physical apk files perhaps? Or would my only workaround be to host some web page where users can manually install my android APK instead of going via the app store if they don't have their own mobile data?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Quinton

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Proxy caching

Wed May 11, 2022 5:53 pm

This is no longer possible today. Caching proxies no longer work because everything is https now. App stores do not want you to make a local cache either.

kraal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Proxy caching

Wed May 11, 2022 6:19 pm

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Not an IT solution but a communication one.
Maybe, if you know the attendees' email addresses, you could send them a message asap to ask them nicely to download and install the application prior to the event ?
The email could state that you are asking it in order to ensure the best possible user experience during the event as there will be a limited bandwidth during the event.
Even if 20% do it, it will cut greatly your costs.

Unless people have to pay a lot to attend the event, it's completely understandable from an attendee's point of view (at least I would understand it, unless I had to pay a lot to attend).
What's certain is that I would not accept to install a 3d party app without using the store / being able to analyze first what I'm installing on my device.