MikroTik App

bartje
just joined
Topic Author

Ethernet backhaul not enabled

Wed May 11, 2022 11:07 pm

Hello,

I recently acquired a Microtik Router with RouterOS. I updated to v7.2.3
On my previous router Ethernet backhaul was working out of the box, but now I can't find how to enable this in Router OS.
Because I already had a mesh system. I ordered a router without wifi. (RB750GR3)
But when I check my mesh AP's they tell me there mutual communication is over wifi, While it should be over Ethernet because it's more stable and faster.
Because of the heavy concrete in my home wifi communication between different floors is almost impossible or really poor.

I know in some routers I need to enable some kind of ethernet-backaul package.

But I can't find how to do this.

bartje
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Ethernet backhaul not enabled

Fri May 20, 2022 3:06 pm

no one has any solution?

I did some more research and found that Ethernet Backhaul is described in "IEEE 1905.1".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1905
https://standards.ieee.org/ieee/1905.1/4995/

I cannot find a final answer on this but it looks like Router OS does not support this standard, that's why it's not working.

I'm not sure how to apply a feature request so I send an email to support. But they haven't respond yet.

I think support for this standard would be really valuable for people with Mesh networks.

AllexRo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 20, 2022 7:18 pm

Who is the producer of your Mesh? I'm asking because I tested for a long period of time a TPLink Deco X60 mesh, set as AP mode, connected to a Mikrotik HexPoe; Deco units reported Ethernet backhaul.

bartje
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 20, 2022 8:44 pm

Hello,

I'm also using tp-link but Deco M4 instead of X60,
I checked and my deco's are set to AP mode. I have installed the latest firmware(1.5.4)
Based on this drawing
url as image isn't working: https://static.tp-link.com/Ethernet_bac ... 28173u.png
I would like to set it up as the 3th option.
where router and switch are combined in my case,

And on my previous router my meshpoint were reporting ethernet, where now they are reporting 2.4Ghz/5Ghz which means wifi

AllexRo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 20, 2022 9:57 pm

My case was also the 3rd one: both X60s connected to a TP-Link switch which was connected to hex router.
If your config is same as mine, try connecting the second M4 directly to main M4, just to test if the switch is to blame.

bartje
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 20, 2022 10:39 pm

I already did, And then it says Ethernet.

So it doesn't seem to be the wiring.
One difference we have is that I don't use a TP-link but connected all 3 AP's directly to my mikrotik.

I actually had a reason not to by any more TP-link network stuff anymore. The reason was that most settings can't be done in the webinterface and you need the app which you need to register.
But that's another issue not related to this brand at all.

AllexRo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 20, 2022 11:11 pm

Try this: disconnect all 3 Decos and power them down. Power up the main M4 and connect it to Mikrotik router - don't connect anything to its 2nd eth port. After it signals that everything is ok (I assume LED will turn from red to green), power up second M4 and connect its cable. Again, no other device connected to 2nd unit. Same for 3rd unit. After it goes green as well, check if app reports ethernet backhaul and afterwards connect other devices, if it's the case, to the M4 units.

In the Mikrotik router, do you have any non-standard settings concerning bridge, ports etc?

bartje
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 22, 2022 11:36 pm

I took me a while to find a timeslot where no one needed internet;)
but I found it.

I did the test, but one change. I left my DHCP server connected to Eth1, because without that server there shouldn't be any connection possible.
I connected the mesh points in the order you asked, but still they are reporting WiFi.

for the settings I left most by default,
but I disabled DHCP, as I use the one from my pi.hole.
I also modified the default ip address to be equal to my previous gateway.
I have 2 port forwards, 1 for wireguard and 1 for homeassistant. but those are pretty straight forward.

AllexRo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 23, 2022 1:41 pm

Not sure where the problem is - I also have a PiHole in the network layout but DHCP is done by router; I use it only to filter DNS.

I managed to re-create the network - hexPoe and both Deco's connected individually, directly to hex, main in port 2, slave (bedroom) in port 3.
The screenshot is taken within Deco app, from the 2nd unit.

Maybe it has something to do with this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bartje
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 23, 2022 9:19 pm

"Maybe it has something to do with this?"
Maybe, But I don't fully understand all of it.
I tried some stuff with "L3 HW offloading" but for some reason those settings are reset whenever I come back to the page.
all my ports are in switch one, so that won't be it.
I tried something with Mesh, maybe I needed to setup something there but that broke the whole router so I needed to do a factory reset.
After this reset I checked the mesh status immediately but it still was wifi. so I applied my changes again.
I'm sure I'm missing something but I can't figure it out.

Ca6ko

Tue May 24, 2022 3:06 pm

Show Mikrotik settings

bartje
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2022 3:14 pm

ah, this is how I can include images

All is default except form this
forwarding.png
and this
basic.png

I tried to play around with this checkbox,
hw offloading.png
but it doesn't save

Edit: mask dyndns
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bartje
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 29, 2022 10:16 pm

I did and cables are fine,
Is there any debug stuff I can do?

Ibuprofen600
just joined

Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:53 pm

I did and cables are fine,
Is there any debug stuff I can do?
Did you ever figure this out? I have a similar setup, all was fine while on RouterOS 6.5, updated to 7 and now Eth. Backhaul is gone...

Ibuprofen600
just joined

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:16 am

just an update in case it helps anyone, I reverted to 6.49.6 and backhaul is back :)

bartje
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:49 pm

Did you ever figure this out? I have a similar setup, all was fine while on RouterOS 6.5, updated to 7 and now Eth. Backhaul is gone...
I actually went with OpenWrt https://openwrt.org/toh/mikrotik/rb750gr3 which fixed a few issues for me including the Ethernet Backhaul.

I won't say you should use this, but it's a possibility.

GuilleGs
just joined

Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:56 am

Hi!

News for this? My configuration is M9Plus + M4R + M4R with a Mikrotik hEX

M9Plus in ether3
M4R in ether4
M4R only for wify

In the DHCP Server you can see:
Screenshot 2022-11-17 105534.png
Thanks!

iptak
just joined

Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:14 pm

I've raised the support request for the issue and some good news are on the way:

"Hello,
We have managed to reproduce the issue locally in our labs and look forward to fixing it on upcoming RouterOS versions, unfortunately, I cannot provide a release date now.
The workaround is to disable bridge HW offloading or use the "protocol-mode=none" setting for the bridge which disables RSTP."

Cheers,
IP

GuilleGs
just joined

Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:47 pm

I've raised the support request for the issue and some good news are on the way:

"Hello,
We have managed to reproduce the issue locally in our labs and look forward to fixing it on upcoming RouterOS versions, unfortunately, I cannot provide a release date now.
The workaround is to disable bridge HW offloading or use the "protocol-mode=none" setting for the bridge which disables RSTP."

Cheers,
IP
Works for me!
Captura de pantalla 2023-01-10 174906.png
Thanks!!! :D

GuilleGs
just joined

Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:30 pm

Hi all!

Just for your interest, in version 7.7 you need to apply the workaround.
Still not fixed.

;)

qmp
just joined

Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:26 pm

"Hello,

Cheers,
IP
Works for me!

Captura de pantalla 2023-01-10 174906.png

Thanks!!! :D
Thanks, it's totally worked for me, but in 7.8 version still not fixed and need apply ure workaround

iptak
just joined

Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:33 pm

Haven't seen it in the latest changelogs (no longer using Deco), but:

"This is an automated message. Our bug tracker reports, that your issue has been fixed. This means that in the upcoming days, we plan to release a RouterOS update with this fix. Make sure to upgrade to the next release when it comes out soon. To be sure this specific fix is included, read the changelog when the next version comes out. If your issue is not mentioned, it might mean it will be in the next release."

dscalise
just joined

Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:16 pm

Hi, I disable Loop Prevention in the MicroTik interfaces where my 3 PX50 Deco are Pluged, and it's working now.

I find this comments in the Tplink FAQ.

A: Deco switching from Wi-Fi backhaul to Ethernet backhaul may create a short loop in the network for 1~2s. If your switch supports loop detection, it may block the port used by Deco. Please turn off the loop detection function on your switch, then reboot your switch and try again.
URL: https://www.tp-link.com/ae/support/faq/1794/

BR
Diego

Haven't seen it in the latest changelogs (no longer using Deco), but:

"This is an automated message. Our bug tracker reports, that your issue has been fixed. This means that in the upcoming days, we plan to release a RouterOS update with this fix. Make sure to upgrade to the next release when it comes out soon. To be sure this specific fix is included, read the changelog when the next version comes out. If your issue is not mentioned, it might mean it will be in the next release."

need4swede
just joined

Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:06 am

I thought I was going crazy!

I have a TP-Link Deco setup and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my connection was so slow using this switch.
Turned protocol from 'RSTP' to 'none' and all my clients got their full speed back.

Running RouterOS 7.13.2