Community discussions

MikroTik App

Abdala97
just joined
Topic Author

USB over IP

Sat May 14, 2022 7:58 pm

Hi..
Is there any way to access USB devices that connected to RB over IP?
Please help if there is a way..
thanks.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: USB over IP

Sun May 15, 2022 8:13 am

You didn't explain "what to do with it"...

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 15, 2022 2:27 pm

Do you mean that you should connect an USB mouse and when you use the Mouse, it should move the cursor on a remote machine.
This is possible, but not with Mikrotik.
There are hardware that can do that or software that can be used to emulate USB.

fragtion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 15, 2022 3:22 pm

Sounds like it could be an awesome feature... But regrettably not supported AFAIK. It's a very remote use case you are asking for that is rarely needed.\

You'd be better off attaching another device to the routerboard, like a raspberry pi and then letting that handle the USB over IP.

Another option is to flash the routerboard in question with OpenWrt firmware and then find a package to do usb over IP forwarding. But from your urgency it sounds like that is not an option right now either

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 16, 2022 12:19 am

Maybe with Docker, we might get USB passthrough support at some time so interfacing USB devices directly will be possible.
As for USB over IP, I needed this years ago and simply flashed some older RB4xx boards with OpenWRT and ran Virtualhere USB server and it worked great.
It was much more stable than free USB over IP that constantly have me BSODs (but I needed isochronous transfers and that's usually big problem) and virtualhere server is free if you only share one device... that was all I needed.

But maybe in the future, we will be able to run USB over IP server in Docker and this will open some new possibilities. Various sensors, cameras, etc.
Based on comments by Normis here on forum Docker should return in next ROS beta, so that's a start...

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 16, 2022 1:19 am

What USB devices are you wanting to do this with?

Abdala97
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 20, 2022 7:11 pm

Hi
Thanks for your replies

I have usb LTE modem I want that doesn't support plug and play.
When I connect the modem to my PC, I can connect it to 4g network through a software.
So I want to access the usb from my RB and connect it.

Thanks in advance.

ECCOsea
just joined

Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:14 am

Hi! Same request. Usb over IP will be very usefull functional for MT deivces. For example usb cam.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:33 pm

And what do you expect, to see the camera via IP just because you attached it via USB?

Or do you want to put another router attached to the PC that "re-converts" the signal from IP to USB?

(Instead to buy a USB cam, buy a wireless cam or buy an ethernet cam and one usb-ethernet port)

ECCOsea
just joined

Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:45 pm

And what do you expect, to see the camera via IP just because you attached it via USB?
Or do you want to put another router attached to the PC that "re-converts" the signal from IP to USB?
(Instead to buy a USB cam, buy a wireless cam or buy an ethernet cam and one usb-ethernet port)
It may be variously. Best way 2 routers that one-encode send by ethernet, second recieve and decode. Or router+software will be good too.
Its special equipment cam, that have only usb. Now im use PC-based software converters. If MT will be support this will be very usefull.

alarmatwork
just joined

Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:48 pm

I would like to add my USB device to home and use it from the cloud linux instance. So, the Mikrotik rother with the USB port would be a host.
And I would access my USB device over TCP/IP with the standard usb over ip command:
usbip
under linux like described in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/USB/IP

My use case would be having Home Assistant instance running in the cloud and home devices/sensors connection Skyconnect would be at my home in router USB port and would forward it over some open port. If Mikrotik would support this, it would be awesome!
Last edited by alarmatwork on Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martinmasera
just joined

Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:48 pm

Did you manage to do this setup over usb ip?