Community discussions

MikroTik App

tgiannak
Topic Author

Unsupported ethernet card solarflare

Sat May 14, 2022 8:17 pm

im trying to make solarflare sfn7122f (it uses sfc9120 chip) 10g controller to work with my CHR it is detecting it but it doesnt show up on interfaces...i guess unsupported.... i am sending supout for this can you help??
screenshot.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Unsupported ethernet card solarflare

Sun May 15, 2022 6:45 pm

Have you contacted the SolarFlare user forum?

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 16, 2022 12:23 am

Seems like you are directly forwarding IO to VM, instead of sharing it with CHR from Hypervisor as Virtio interface.
The CHR doesn't have any drivers for hardware, it depends on virtualized interfaces presented by your Hypervisor.
So the problem here is your Hypervisor software is either misconfigured or it doesn't have drivers for it either...

tgiannak
Topic Author

Mon May 16, 2022 10:45 am

Have you contacted the SolarFlare user forum?
Seems like you are directly forwarding IO to VM, instead of sharing it with CHR from Hypervisor as Virtio interface.
The CHR doesn't have any drivers for hardware, it depends on virtualized interfaces presented by your Hypervisor.
So the problem here is your Hypervisor software is either misconfigured or it doesn't have drivers for it either...
hi, thanks for your asnwers

its not routeros driver support the problem? what solarflare would do to me? its not the first CHR that i setup, everytime i passthrough the interface to CHR completely fot things to work as it should. my hypervisor sees the adapter before i passthrough to CHR. also my last intel card its configured the same way and its working fine on routeros.

Hominidae

Mon May 16, 2022 11:07 am

The CHR doesn't have any drivers for hardware,
...not true, as I am using IOMMU/vt-d with real, Intel based NICs on my KVM based machines....CHR pics them up just fine.
CHR / ROS v7 supports newer NIC models than v6, though.

Hominidae

Mon May 16, 2022 11:12 am

its not routeros driver support the problem? what solarflare would do to me? its not the first CHR that i setup, everytime i passthrough the interface to CHR completely fot things to work as it should. my hypervisor sees the adapter before i passthrough to CHR. also my last intel card its configured the same way and its working fine on routeros.
If latest CHR/ROS v7 does not have the native drivers, asking MT support is the best option.
Meanwhile, until the driver - if at all - gets shipped with a newer version of ROS, you could still use the NIC on your hypervisor (i.e in a bridge) and attach the CHR VM via virtio to the same bridge.

zandor
just joined

Tue May 17, 2022 6:31 am

I can't help you much with this. I don't really deal with VMs. Solarflare yes, but not VMs. I'm in the financial trading business and Solarflares are very popular in my line of work. Usually they're used in bare metal Linux machines. I'm pretty familiar with Solarflares, but really only on bare metal Linux machines plus the one I have working in a basic capacity on Windows in my dual boot Linux/Win10 desktop/workstation at home.

One thing to be aware of is that Solarflare provides proprietary drivers for Linux, Windows and for 8000 and higher series cards, VMWare. Linux comes with a basic driver, but if you want full features you need the proprietary one. On Windows AFAIK you have to install the driver, and you pretty much have to use PowerShell to change any settings. Officially Solarflare only supports Windows server, but the drivers will install and work on Win10, at least for the 8000 series. I have an sfn8522-plus in a dual-boot Win10/RHEL8 box, but that's an 8000 series and still available new. You have a 7000 series card which is out of production. I'd have to dig around on the 'net to figure out exactly when, but the 8000 series has been around since at least 2016.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue May 17, 2022 5:58 pm

...not true, as I am using IOMMU/vt-d with real, Intel based NICs on my KVM based machines....CHR pics them up just fine.
CHR / ROS v7 supports newer NIC models than v6, though.
Good to know they are supported now. I must have been unlucky with my NICs being not yet supported before by CHR so I always had to go with virtio... but that was like a year ago.
But overall it's much easier to find a way how to add NIC driver to hypervisor than convincing Mikrotik to have it in ROS itself... especially if it's some more exotic HW.

tgiannak
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2022 10:52 am

But overall it's much easier to find a way how to add NIC driver to hypervisor than convincing Mikrotik to have it in ROS itself... especially if it's some more exotic HW.

Mikrotik must support us..im buying tons of their products for installations i hope they dont dissapoint me....

tgiannak
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:39 am

i can confirm that in routeros 7.3 and after sfn7122 works

solved