Community discussions

MikroTik App

Legend
just joined
Topic Author

Is it possible to use a pair of SXTsq 5 ac to link two non-mikrotik routers?

Sun May 15, 2022 3:57 am

Hello there.

I'm planning the network on a new house my mother is about to finish building next to her current one (around 100 m distant). And as much as I like mikrotik solutions, filling the house with mikrotik wireless routers would be too expensive in my country, so we'll likely use some other wireless routers inside the house.

But we'd like to connect both houses, and I think a pair of SXTsq 5 ac would do the job just fine. But I'm concerned that they would not get along with the other routers, since they won't be running routeros.

Does the SXTsq 5 ac only work on a mikrotik managed network? Or as long as I use the correct IPs / gateway it would work just fine, as the pair was a "wire", connecting both ends of the network?

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Is it possible to use a pair of SXTsq 5 ac to link two non-mikrotik routers?

Mon May 16, 2022 11:24 am

Yeah, that's the whole point of the SXTsq 5 ac and similar products. You can use any devices at each end. Just the 2 devices that form the link need to be Mikrotik (or both from another brand). My understanding is WiFi lacks a standard for point to point links so all of them are proprietary.

If you use cheapo wireless routers at each end then you will need to be able to turn off DHCP etc on one of them. Most will allow this.

I would add that you should think about the situation where you mother in law clicks a dodgy email or gets hacked in some form. It might make sense to put her on her own subnet so her devices won't have access to your devices.