Community discussions

MikroTik App

Kaldek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB5009 will not complete boot process if my PC is connected to ether1

Mon May 16, 2022 3:31 am

Hi folks, so I upgraded in 2021 to an RB5009 for 2.5Gb/s support from my PC to my server which is on 10Gb/s. Ergo, my PC is on ether1 and the server is on sfp-sfpplus1 (10Gb/s via DAC)

Whenever I upgrade RouterOS, the RB5009 fails to complete the boot process if my PC is connected to ether1. It sits there - forever - with a dim LED on port 2 but no other lights other than the blue power LED. As soon as I remove my PC from ether1, the boot process completes. I can then reconnect to ether1 and the router stays up (until next reboot).

Has anyone seen this behaviour? I have searched for this issue and I can't find it, but perhaps my search terms are wrong.

Kaldek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: RB5009 will not complete boot process if my PC is connected to ether1

Mon May 16, 2022 4:49 am

I seem to have fixed this, but I am not sure exactly what the fix was. However, it does seem related to netboot, in that the link is stuck in a weird state which was stopping the boot process from completing in the firmware.

One of the following things fixed the issue:
- Upgrading the firmware to 7.2.3
- Changing ether1 from only advertising 2.5Gbs to advertising 2.5Gbs and 1000Mbs
- Turning off as much of the weird and esoteric Wake On LAN stuff on the network driver for my PC.

I'm leaning towards one of the first two items, as when it's working the link light for ether1 comes on and the router then completes its boot process.

Dacesilian
just joined

Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:40 am

Hello, I have this similar problem with my router from the beginning. I'm using PoE which is also in bonding (2 cables). After upgrade, router never boots up and has to be disconnected and connected only one wire. Thats very sad and problematic. I'm using only 1 Gbps and it's connected from switch. Problem still exists with RouterOS 7.8.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:36 am

Start moving to 7.11.2 (or 7.12 beta3).
If problem still persists, create supout.rif and make ticket to support@mikrotik.com including the supout file.