Community discussions

MikroTik App

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

4G USB

Mon May 16, 2022 9:03 am

I've used mikrotik with USB 4G dongles and with mini PCI e cards. What I've found is they are ludicrously stable with the mini PCI e cards and quite the opposite with USB dongles. I was using a USB dongle for quite a while and it would require frequent usb power cycles. On the weekend I was using one that would hardly last an hour before needing a full power cycle. On the flip side I've had a mini PCIe one up a pole in the heat of the sun running faultlessly for a year.

Anyway, my question is does everyone else find the same thing? Is USB simply a poor solution or have some people got it working well? I have used it with both Optus and Telstra USB dongles. If it's been working well which dongle have you been using?

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: 4G USB

Tue May 17, 2022 7:00 am

I've come to the conclusion it's just crappy USB dongles. I would be interested to see if someone has had a good working solution from a USB dongle and if so which one. In some cases it would be handy to even run a usb dongle as a redundant WAN.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2022 7:37 am

Can anyone tell me if they've had good experience with USB dongles? I've only used 2 dongles and both haven't been great.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 24, 2022 11:08 am

you should try use a active (with own power) the Usb hub. Very often MikroTik cannot deliver power in pik, and usb doungle reboot/freez.
Ones we have post when someone buy many RB the same model but differ revision and one's give more power, other less.

Ca6ko

Tue May 24, 2022 2:32 pm

The problem with USB dongles is mainly related to the power supply, because they can consume 1-1.7A at their peak (with the standard USB2.0 not more than 0.5A). Therefore, older Mikrotik devices which have a standard output may not work stably. In newer versions of Mikrotik devices with increased output up to 1A there are less problems, but still happen. If you power the USB dongle from a source up to 2A there is no problem.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:51 am

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will give it a try