MikroTik App

pkelly1603
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Issue with LTE interface on LHGR & Quectel EP06-A

Tue May 17, 2022 10:43 pm

Good afternoon,

I am trying to make the LHGR work with Quectel EP06-A because this particular card supports most of the good US LTE bands for AT&T. However, the software seems to have some bugs in support for this module.

Router OS software version: 7.2.3

Here is what I've done:
1. Set EP06-A to mbim mode
- LTE interface is detected and modem settings are read properly
2. Boot up router with card install, card seems to connect according to LTE interface "cellular" tab but router says interface is down and does not get an IP address from the modem
3. Disable LTE interface and re-enable. Card shows up as connected and I can access internet.

Screenshot prior to disable/re-enable of LTE interface: not_connected_on_boot.png
Screenshot after disable/re-enable of LTE interface: connected_after_disable_enable.png

I upgraded the modem firmware and this did not help. I have tried putting the modem in ECM mode as well but the router does not stay connected in this mode. Do you have any ideas on how to make this work reliably? Or is there another modem supporting LTE bands 2,4,5,12,30 and 66 that has better support?

Thank you.

**Edit: The 2nd screenshot will not upload due to error on forum page during upload attempts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Issue with LTE interface on LHGR & Quectel EP06-A

Wed May 18, 2022 6:20 pm

This is very simple... just 2 steps
  • APN: broadband
  • Change IMEI

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 18, 2022 6:43 pm

Change IMEI

Why?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 18, 2022 7:51 pm

Because Quectel EP06-A is know as mifi/hotspot device in IMEI database of AT&T and you must have proper hotspot plan.
To use that EP06-A with AT&T and a phone plan he must change IMEI to spoof other vendor who can be used in phone plan.

AT&T can give that message: “AT&T Free Msg: It looks like you want to use data but have none available. You may need to add a data package, refill to use pay-per-use data or change to a plan that supports data. To check your plan and manage your account, start at att.com/myprepaid. If you just made a payment for your monthly plan with data, power your device off and back on, then try again.”

Even you have a connection, lte1 is Running, the traffic not be work with current ISP Plan and this EP06-A original IMEI.

pkelly1603
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2022 9:05 pm

Thank you for the replies. Although I am not sure how to change the IMEI, I am certain that this is not the cause of the problem since the connection works OK sometimes.

The AT&T plan I'm using is allowed in hotspot and non-hotspot type devices and I've tested the same SIM in some "hotspot" type devices such as Teltonika and Pepwave and it works normally. On this LHGR, simply disabling the LTE interface and enabling makes it work properly further indicating it is not a plan/imei type issue.

According to the cellular status information on the LTE interface, it seems the LTE card is working properly the whole time. I believe there is some issue between the card and the router where the router is not properly obtaining IP information on initial startup.

**EDIT: Also, I already have 'broadband' set as the APN.

bfast
just joined

Wed May 18, 2022 10:48 pm

I'm seeing something similar with this radio in my testing. It doesn't seem to be stable when first booting. Maybe MikroTik can check this card as it supports a good amount of LTE bands that would be useful in the US market.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 19, 2022 10:35 am

about 20 unit in USA with EP06-A on EP06ALAR02A08M4G on ros7.1rc4 works properly with APN broadband and changed IMEI what be must do to have stable connection and always working.
We use some scripts to rescue offline situataion, to test any new detekted cell in new tower, .... and this can work without problem.

bfast
just joined

Thu May 19, 2022 6:17 pm

How do you change the IMEI though?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 20, 2022 10:15 pm

This is a MikroTik forum, the AT command is on google. Nothing mysterious. IMEI say about vendor of device, take it on consideration.