Community discussions

MikroTik App

mcbrown90
just joined
Topic Author

migrate from EdgeOS to RB3011UiAS-RM

Wed May 18, 2022 4:43 pm

Hi All,

Recently I bought a RB3011 to replace my Edgerouter-x(It was not able to get a throughput above ~280mbit).
Since I already owned a few switches from MikroTik(RB3011UiAS-RM & RB3011UiAS-RM, both on swOS), I thought it was a good idea to also buy a MikroTik router.
But then...

currently I have a couple of VLAN's configured on my Edgerouter:
- vlan1 - default - untagged - 192.168.1.0/24 (this is my "normal" network with all my laptops, tablets and other devices)
- vlan10 - guest - tagged - 192.168.10.0/24 (this is the vlan for my guest network)
- vlan 200 - dmz - tagged - 192.168.200.0/24 ( this is my vlan for servers in my network that can be reached from outside)

On my Edgerouter I hav 2 interfaces in use: eth0 for WAN and eth1 for LAN(with all the vlans).

After multiple times trying and locking myself out, I was hoping that someone here on the forum could help me with configuring the device. (I get lost in all the different things I need to do with the switch-chip)

Is there someone who can help me with the basic configuration of the interfaces?

Thank you in advance!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: migrate from EdgeOS to RB3011UiAS-RM

Wed May 18, 2022 5:47 pm

It is not really required to do this config in the switch chip, unless you want maximum switching performance between ethernet ports on the same VLAN.
I would advise starting with only bridge configuration and only when it all works look at the switch.

So first reset it to defaults and make sure you can access the internet from all ethernet ports, that will become default VLAN.
You can configure the 192.168.1.1/24 address in Quick Set and make sure you have DHCP server etc enabled.
When you have the basic setup working DO NOT touch Quick Set again! When you think things are wrong in Quick Set only change them via the menus!
Once that is working, you can add vlan10 as a bridge sub-interface and add an IP address 192.168.10.1/24 and DHCP server (use the DHCP setup wizard).
When you want untagged ports on another VLAN, add your VLANs in the bridge menu specifying which ports have to be untagged.
Also in the Bridge Ports menu you need to set the VLAN for these ports (PVID field). Stupid, but that is how it works.
When you have completed the bridge setup you can enable VLAN filtering on the bridge (in the setup of that bridge, VLAN tab) to make the above working.
Every time you do a step that could lock you out, like configuring the bridge, first enable "safe mode", then perform the action, verify that you can still access the router, and disable the "safe mode" again.
Should you lose connection, the router will automatically roll back to the config status you had when entering safe mode.
Make sure you disable safe mode when done, before logging out or disconnecting your computer.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 18, 2022 7:27 pm

One trick that i stumbled over is CONFIGURING the router OFF the bridge.........
That helped me avoid many issues and of course judicious use of the SAFE MODE button.

Check out PARA A. for OFF BRIDGE - viewtopic.php?t=182373

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed May 18, 2022 10:49 pm

On my Edgerouter I hav 2 interfaces in use: eth0 for WAN and eth1 for LAN(with all the vlans).
You said that you were using only two interfaces on the ER-X, one for WAN (eth0) and one for connection to the switch (eth1).

What isn't clear is whether eth1 was part of switch0, or if it was removed from switch0 as a virtual dedicated port.

Specifically, when you do a $ show interfaces on the ER-X (or in the Web dashboard view), do you see eth1.10 and eth1.200 or do you see switch0.10 and switch0.200?

If you put your ER-X config (standard format) in an attachment, I can look at it.

Do you plan to use only two interfaces on the RB3011? Looking at the RB3011 block diagram, I would use a port from a different switch chip for your WAN interface than for your LAN interface. But it depends on whether you plan to use the SFP interface or not, since it seems that if it is in use, CPU 1 will always be used for the SFP.

Perhaps if you share your planed network topology, someone will be able to help more.

Have you looked at the wiki help page? Other devices with built-in switch chip

If you are using only a single port connected to the external switch, then I don't think you need to program the internal switches in the RB3011, but that is also "wasting" a lot of ports on the RB3011.

And if you are only using two ports, I would have thought the easier migration would have been to the ER-4, but the RB3011 should work fine, and has more ports available if you do want to configure with the switches. The only MikroTik device I have is the RB760iGS (more like the ER-X, based on the same MT7621A that the ER-X has). And on the hEX with v7.2.1 the vlan-filtering bridge does the switching with the switch ASIC that is part of the MT7621A. For the RB3011 (with QCA8337 switch chips), I think you must use the switch feature if you want intra-vlan (i.e. within the same vlan), switching (including tagging/untagging) to be done by the hardware switch ASIC, and for local traffic, it can make a significant difference is performance and CPU load. When done in the QCA8337 it should be essentially wire speed.