Community discussions

MikroTik App

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Ubiquity Unify vs Capsman

Mon May 23, 2022 1:09 pm

Hi mates, I'm try to save my client's money, I hope you can help me understanding more, thank you so much.
I know well how to use Mikrotik and Capsman, I have zero idea how works Ubiquity Unify, I'm in Russia and now here Mikrotik is difficult to find and cost 3/4 times more than before, unfortunately Mikrotik does not have any politics to protect its clients from speculations.

My client has several restaurants, his unique internet provider sold him a managed switch for each location were the 1st port is dedicated to LAN (connected to the remote main office by L2 channel), 2-3-4.. ports are for WiFi spots, Ubiquity, supporting 2 SSID, one for staff with password, second for clients with autentification. The 3 networks are not "seeing" each other, different private IP subnet.
Now the client start using mobile devices for orders, the Wifi for staff should be placed under the 1st LAN port to comunicate with the local main cash desk, managing this change with provider is complicated so I would solve it myself. I guess I need a "capsman" for Uniquity network, which now should be inside the internet provider's network, I need to buy a router with first gateway on switch LAN port1 (and it's for remote management too), a second gateway for the autenticated guest network to the second switch portm converted for this use only ((I did it for a new mikrotik network and works), and other router's ports connected to the uniquity "caps" to manage and provide them gateway.

How this "capsman" router is called? I've read about "Dream Machine", but were/how can I find it?
Will it be easy to setup with it the existing Ubiquity devices? Will be enough just reset them and rebuild configuation? Are them anyhow connected to an interent service they need to register too? Thank you a lot!!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Ubiquity Unify vs Capsman

Mon May 23, 2022 1:25 pm

I'm in Russia and now here Mikrotik is difficult to find and cost 3/4 times more than before,
unfortunately Mikrotik does not have any politics to protect its clients from speculations.
This comment about Russia and that MikroTik lacks "politics to protect", you could also have avoided writing it.
Russia's protection politics are certainly better...

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Mon May 23, 2022 2:42 pm

Please don't blame me about the russian politics, I'm just a worker doing my best. If it' matters, I'm italian. Sincerely I'm a bit disappointed that it became really difficult to sell Mikrotik technology here now, it became "out of market".

Please let's stay on topic, thank you for your support.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 23, 2022 2:47 pm

I have commented what is on OP...

Comunque lo sò, ma evita commenti infelici...
[EN: Anyway I know, but avoid unhappy comments...]

E se non l'hai notato, questo è un forum MikroTik ed è vietato cercare aiuto per altri marchi.
[EN: And if you haven't noticed, this is a MikroTik forum and it is forbidden to seek help for other brands.]

Personalemnte mi dispiace.
[EN: Personally I'm sorry.]