Community discussions

MikroTik App

tgurske
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Wire Angle

Tue May 24, 2022 11:11 pm

Hey,

I am mounting two wireless wire radios and they are both going to be facing roughly towards each other - offset by 12 feet (3.6 meters). They are 70 feet (21 meters) apart. I would prefer not to have to angle them exactly towards each other (they are going flat on surfaces) but I can if I have to - it really comes down to how wide the radio coverage is. They face 10 degrees apart so if the radios broadcast and receive up to 30 degrees, for example, then it should work without angling them exactly towards each other. I can't find specifications though. Does anybody have any information about what how wide the radios broadcast?

Thanks!

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless Wire Angle

Wed May 25, 2022 12:59 am

for the best wireless signal strength and wireless throughput, point both antennas in a point-to-point wireless system so that they are spot-on facing each other.
yes - it will work if they are not exactly pointing to each other but the link will not be optimum.

North Idaho Tom Jones

qamtester
just joined

Wed May 25, 2022 5:04 am

When you say offset by 12 feet (3.6 meters), do you mean vertical separation? I have to agree with TomjNorthIdaho. If you don't even have the radios set up with incline and decline, then your performance (or reliability) will be even worse. Are you trying to reflect the signal off of metal? Are both antennae offset in the left or right direction, or is one pointed directly at the other while only one is offset? I couldn't find any antenna patterns for the RBwAPG-60ad-SA to be able to answer your question. Even with 96 internal antennae that support 180 degree field of view I would not expect a consistent link PHY rate when the radios are not pointed head on.

tgurske
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 25, 2022 8:26 am

When you say offset by 12 feet (3.6 meters), do you mean vertical separation? I have to agree with TomjNorthIdaho. If you don't even have the radios set up with incline and decline, then your performance (or reliability) will be even worse. Are you trying to reflect the signal off of metal? Are both antennae offset in the left or right direction, or is one pointed directly at the other while only one is offset? I couldn't find any antenna patterns for the RBwAPG-60ad-SA to be able to answer your question. Even with 96 internal antennae that support 180 degree field of view I would not expect a consistent link PHY rate when the radios are not pointed head on.
Imagine that they are mounted flat on the walls 70' apart and pointing directly at each other. Then, move one of them to the left 12'.

tgurske
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 26, 2022 6:57 am

I performed a test and it has full signal with the two units facing 12' off of each other. In fact, they seem pretty flexible as far as positioning. They even stay connected while facing completely different directions. I'm impressed.

Anyway, thank you both for the replies!

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 26, 2022 8:58 am

That’s a bit under 10º off-axis. It would be interesting to know the threshold where you lose a meaningful amount of bandwidth.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 26, 2022 1:42 pm

The cube edition works.
But the wireless wire (60GHZ radio only) I have seen it drop speed with far less deviation of angle.

sirbryan

Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:01 pm

For future reference:

The RBwAPG-60ad has a 60° pattern for both horizontal and vertical. They are beam forming and at 70' they will definitely find each other as long as their front surfaces are generally facing each other.

I have an AP on a mast about 35-40' up facing east and a client radio on the front of a house across the street one lot to the north facing due west (so they're at 45° to each other vertically and horizontally) and they work just fine. I've even got some installed where the customer's radio is shooting to the side of the AP (at short range, <100') without problems.

The RBwAPG-60ad-SA has a 180° azimuth pattern (three 60° patches combined) and ~60° vertical. While it has three antennas, they're combined into a single radio chip like the 60° version, which is limited to 8 clients.