Community discussions

MikroTik App

AlexM2020
Topic Author

NAT Logging

Fri May 27, 2022 9:46 am

Good morning,
I turn to the forum because I am looking for a log collector tool.
To explain the application field we are a small WISP and we have different routers in our infrastructure that perform NAT.
In order to satisfy the need for a navigation LOG, I would have thought of configuring the logs for each translation on Mikrotik and sending them to a special syslog.
Do you have any proven Mikrotik configuration for generating and sending logs to a remote server, I would like the sending to be continuous and not store anything on the Mikrotik memory.
What do you use as a collector?
I trust in some useful suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

olivier2831
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: NAT Logging

Fri May 27, 2022 10:04 am

Using Netflow/IPFix feature on Mikrotik devices, you can send 5 mins long reports to a configured data collector.
These reports can include NAT log data.
If your data collector is a Linux box, some Netflow/IPFix data collecting apps exist, nfdump being the one I tested.

AlexM2020
Topic Author

Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:02 am

Using Netflow/IPFix feature on Mikrotik devices, you can send 5 mins long reports to a configured data collector.
These reports can include NAT log data.
If your data collector is a Linux box, some Netflow/IPFix data collecting apps exist, nfdump being the one I tested.
Thanks for your answer,
I have done some tests with the netflow protocol in the past, using a Linux distribution as a manifold by installing nsen and nfdump.
Through Netflow I collected all the necessary information only that the collector does not allow search functions, graphics and so on, it was quite primitive.
Does anyone know of any Linux applications that allow you to do this?
Thank you

olivier2831
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:07 pm

Does anyone know of any Linux applications that allow you to do this?
nfdump itself allows for some filtering and aggregation.
I've not used those features, yet but would be very curious bto read about this.