Community discussions

MikroTik App

5009Owner
Topic Author

Input chain and drop invalid

Sat May 28, 2022 9:01 am

I wonder, why is "Drop invalid" necessary in input chain?
In the end of the input chain there is "Drop all". Should it take care of "invalid"?

gabacho4

Re: Input chain and drop invalid

Sat May 28, 2022 9:29 am

It isn’t necessary at all. The drop everything else rule, as you mention, takes care of that too. I’m sure there are performance gains in large networks to having invalid dropped at the top of the chain but I don’t think you’ll notice any appreciable difference in a home or SMB environment.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 28, 2022 11:49 am

I wonder, why is "Drop invalid" necessary in input chain?
In the end of the input chain there is "Drop all". Should it take care of "invalid"?

Some firewall rule sets follow "drop not needed" rather than "allow only needed" philosophy ... and in this case "drop invalid" rule is strictly necessary. IMO "allow only needed" approach is much safer in most cases, in case of some more liberal ISPs the "drop not needed" for forward chain can be better ... But it does show that mixing recipes that might follow different philosophies (or are confused already) can lead to confusing firewall rule set.

Psychological reasons aside, "drop invalid" rule early in the chain can strenghten firewall because this way invalid packets that would otherwise be accepted by other rules are dropped anyway.
Consider a (trivial) case where firewall rules allow ssh connection to router (can be via management interface even) ... some atacker might start sending packets targeting TCP port 22 but that are otherwise invalid (i.e. initial packet is not strictly SYN packet or it's segment number is out of sync with ongoing SSH connection). Those packets are invalid as per connection tracking state, but without early "drop invalid" they would still be delivered to ssh service of ROS potentially affecting its functioning and/or performance.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 28, 2022 12:43 pm

Also, there is a bug in RouterOS that causes incoming GRE packets to be marked "invalid", even when they are a reply on outgoing GRE traffic.
(that is, the "established/related" match does not work for GRE)

This will cause GRE tunnels to fail as long as you have that "drop invalid" rule and no "accept GRE" before it (or match with "not protocol GRE" in the "drop invalid" rule).

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 28, 2022 12:52 pm

I notice it and solved on some cases leaving pptp helper enabled (without using pptp at all), it can track also successfully GRE tunnel ("only")...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 28, 2022 3:48 pm

Discussed & Answered here Para 5. - viewtopic.php?t=180838