Community discussions

MikroTik App

espenmon
just joined
Topic Author

Multiple PPPoE service names on same vlan.

Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:31 am

We are testing CGN since there is a shortage of IP addresses, we use PPPoE to authenticate customers. The plan is that only customers who have the basic package should be behind CGN.

We have one vlan per. sector, the plan was that we run two PPPoE servers in the same VLAN (on different boxes), so that we could define service name "cgn" on those who are behind CGN and the other customers have blank names by default.

Since blank service name is "wildcard", I have also tried with PADO delay on the CGN server.

The problem is that even though I define the service name "cgn" on the client, it connects to the instance with blank service name.

I understand that the one with a blank service name will be able to connect to a random PPPoE server, but I had thought that where we defined a service name it would not connect to the other server.

Anyone have a good solution to this?

The PPPoE servers run on Mikrotik, we have many of these but only one running on each vlan. The change now is that we will run two server instances on each vlan, so that CGN customers connect to a different physical box.

We use a mix of Ubiquiti and MikroTIK clients.

Are also open to other suggestions for solutions, if this can not be implemented.