Community discussions

MikroTik App

dabodae
just joined
Topic Author

"No internet" flag on mikrotik?

Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:23 pm

Hello everyone,
I have a Mikrotik mAP connected as a bridge to a drone via ethernet. I would like to connect my iPhone to MikroTik wifi and be able to keep internet connection on my iPhone using its sim data.

So the question is: do you know if there is an option on MikroTik (a flag or other settings) to "tell" to my iPhone connected with wifi that there isn't internet connection, so to use iPhone sim data? Without editing any options on my iPhone.

I saw there is an option on iPhone called "Wi-Fi Assist", it's enabled but it doesn't work.
Thank you everyone

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: "No internet" flag on mikrotik?

Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:34 pm

Your iphone should detect on itself that the wifi connection is not providing internet.
My Samsung does that too. But it does not move over to 4G/5G then (unless I enable it to do so, but then it kicks out the wifi which makes sense but that's not what you want).

As far as I know you can not have AND Wif active AND use 4G/5G. Those phones are not configured that way (seems to me they are not THAT smart :lol: ).

As reference:
I purchased past weekend a drone for my grandson.
When enabling the wifi on his smartphone to get connection with the drone-controller, there is a clear note in the manual that at that moment, there is no internet connection and the wifi connection should be allowed to stay active.
You can not have both.

dabodae
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:01 pm

Your iphone should detect on itself that the wifi connection is not providing internet.
My Samsung does that too. But it does not move over to 4G/5G then (unless I enable it to do so, but then it kicks out the wifi which makes sense but that's not what you want).

As far as I know you can not have AND Wif active AND use 4G/5G. Those phones are not configured that way (seems to me they are not THAT smart :lol: ).

As reference:
I purchased past weekend a drone for my grandson.
When enabling the wifi on his smartphone to get connection with the drone-controller, there is a clear note in the manual that at that moment, there is no internet connection and the wifi connection should be allowed to stay active.
You can not have both.

Ok thank you. There is a way that works for me to have both, but only settings on smartphone (not that I want).
If can help you while using your drone you can do this:
  • Connect to your WiFi network
  • Click the Info (i) icon next to your current WiFi network to view network info
  • Make note of your IP Address and Subnet Mask
  • Change “Configure IP” from “Automatic” to “Manual” and enter the IP Address and Subnet Mask. DO NOT CONFIGURE ROUTER. The “Router” setting should be BLANK/EMPTY
  • Save your changes. iOS will show “No Internet Connection” next to your WiFi device. iOS should no longer attempt to connect to Internet through this WiFi network.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:10 pm

I am not going to explain that to my grandson of 12 (at least, not yet until he understands all this stuff better), let be someone like my wife (I am already happy she knows how to use mail, Whatsapp, sms, ...and call :lol: ).
I'd like to see how many persons set an IP manually on their phone. Will not be a lot.

So effectively it can be done but not without tinkering with the settings of your phone.
And you said yourself, that's not what you want.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: "No internet" flag on mikrotik?  [SOLVED]

Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:29 pm

In the DHCP server settings in the MikroTik, on the tab "Networks", open the entry for your network (labeled defconf) and "remove" the gateway entry using the up-arrow. It becomes grey.
Now the DHCP server does not give the phone a default gateway and it should not assume there is internet. It can only reach the local subnet.

dabodae
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:43 pm

In the DHCP server settings in the MikroTik, on the tab "Networks", open the entry for your network (labeled defconf) and "remove" the gateway entry using the up-arrow. It becomes grey.
Now the DHCP server does not give the phone a default gateway and it should not assume there is internet. It can only reach the local subnet.
It works perfectly! Thank you

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:46 pm

Interesting! The trick with "no gateway".
In my case however having the mAP suppporting the controller-drone wifi inter-connection would be helpfull.
The controller (USB linked to the smartphone) or drone has a too weak signal when the drone is at 300 meters (DJI detects it is in an ETSI region and reduces the TX power in drone and controller)

The mAP can route to multiple networks and could add "internet" for the controller or drone. SXTsq to extend the range ?