Community discussions

MikroTik App

Peyoz
just joined
Topic Author

Balancing Dual LTE WAN with PCC has default routing issues

Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:15 pm

Hi,
I have some weird issues when configuring PCC on the Chateau LTE12.
My current setup is made of an additional LTE card connected through the USB port, RoutesOS 7.2.3
PCC setup was done following a lot of forum posts and the documentation, and everything works fine IF I'm not setting up a default route on the main routing table.
As soon as I enable the default route, all the clients connected through the lte2 wan experience a significant delay in every request going to the internet, looks like I created some loop somewhere.
As soon as I disable that route, everything works fine.
I don't really understand what is going on, can someone please help on this matter?
Thanks in advance!

The interesting part of the configuration is in the snippet below, there is also a redacted export attached
/routing table
add fib name=rt_wan_usb
add fib name=rt_wan_int

/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-mark=no-mark in-interface=lte1 new-connection-mark=conn_wan_int passthrough=no
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-mark=no-mark in-interface=lte2 new-connection-mark=conn_wan_usb passthrough=no
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting comment="VPN egress always through lte_int" connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-list=VPN dst-address-type=!local in-interface-list=LAN new-connection-mark=conn_wan_int \
    passthrough=yes
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting comment="from LAN egress through lte_int" connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local in-interface-list=LAN new-connection-mark=conn_wan_int passthrough=yes \
    src-address-list=from_lan_to_lte_int
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting comment="from LAN egress through lte_usb" connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local in-interface-list=LAN new-connection-mark=conn_wan_usb passthrough=yes \
    src-address-list=from_lan_to_lte_usb
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting comment="Streaming PCC to lte_usb 1/3" connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local in-interface-list=LAN new-connection-mark=conn_wan_usb passthrough=yes \
    per-connection-classifier=src-address:3/0 src-address-list=streaming
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting comment="Streaming PCC to lte_int 2/3" connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local in-interface-list=LAN new-connection-mark=conn_wan_int passthrough=yes \
    per-connection-classifier=src-address:3/1 src-address-list=streaming
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting comment="Streaming PCC to lte_usb 3/3" connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local in-interface-list=LAN new-connection-mark=conn_wan_usb passthrough=yes \
    per-connection-classifier=src-address:3/2 src-address-list=streaming
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting comment="PCC to lte_int" connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local in-interface-list=LAN new-connection-mark=conn_wan_int passthrough=yes \
    per-connection-classifier=src-address:2/0
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting comment="PCC to lte_usb" connection-mark=no-mark dst-address-type=!local in-interface-list=LAN new-connection-mark=conn_wan_usb passthrough=yes \
    per-connection-classifier=src-address:2/1
add action=mark-routing chain=prerouting connection-mark=conn_wan_int in-interface-list=LAN new-routing-mark=rt_wan_int
add action=mark-routing chain=prerouting connection-mark=conn_wan_usb in-interface-list=LAN new-routing-mark=rt_wan_usb
add action=mark-routing chain=output connection-mark=conn_wan_int new-routing-mark=rt_wan_int passthrough=no
add action=mark-routing chain=output connection-mark=conn_wan_usb new-routing-mark=rt_wan_usb passthrough=no

/ip route
add comment=rt_wan_int_main distance=1 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=lte1 routing-table=rt_wan_int
add comment=rt_wan_usb_main disabled=no distance=1 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=lte2 pref-src="" routing-table=rt_wan_usb scope=30 suppress-hw-offload=no target-scope=10
add comment=rt_wan_int_bck disabled=yes distance=2 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=lte2 pref-src="" routing-table=rt_wan_int scope=30 suppress-hw-offload=no target-scope=10
add comment=rt_wan_usb_bck disabled=yes distance=2 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=lte1 pref-src="" routing-table=rt_wan_usb scope=30 suppress-hw-offload=no target-scope=10
add disabled=no dst-address=9.9.9.9/32 gateway=lte1 routing-table=main suppress-hw-offload=no
add disabled=no dst-address=149.112.112.112/32 gateway=lte2 routing-table=main suppress-hw-offload=no
add comment="Router Default Route" disabled=yes distance=10 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=lte1 pref-src="" routing-table=main scope=30 suppress-hw-offload=no target-scope=1

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Balancing Dual LTE WAN with PCC has default routing issues

Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:29 am

There is no such thing as a default route, that is already there??
You the admin either selects ADD Route at the IP DHCP settings or the PPPOE settings,
OR
You the admin creates a manual route.

Peyoz
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:05 pm

What is the point of talking about ppoe or dhcp configuration?
I'm using a pair of LTE connection

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:33 pm

You talk about "default route". That term is often understood as routes setup automatically by ROS, via DHCP client, LTE APN, PPPoE setting etc.
I understand you mean your route with lowest distance, but not anything setup automatically.

You can not do 2 times PCC one after another. If you want to have "5 legs" you must use 0-4.

Then in ROS 7 setting up routes is tricky and I still don't really understand the principle behind it (was so easy on ROS6).
But I made it work in my ROS 7 setup with 2 LTE modems and a DSL connection.

I think to remember (but can't tell why) that if you use distance higher than 1 you should also increase scope.
What I use is:
for distance 1, I use scope 10
distance 2, I use scope 20
distance 3, I use scope 30 and so on...

worth trying it out.