Community discussions

MikroTik App

clivejo
Topic Author

Can't upgrade RBLHGGR to ROS7

Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:53 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to upgrade my RBLHGGR to ROS v7 but it refuses to boot! I have tried to upgrade via System>Packages and also netinstall but no matter what I try it leaves the device un-bootable. I just spent Sunday afternoon trying to get the device back on-line after trying to install ROS 7.2.3, but again it renders the device unusable and have to take it down and use the reset button to put it in netinstall mode and install v6

What am I doing wrong?!?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can't upgrade RBLHGGR to ROS7

Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:35 am

Probably you're experiencing boot loop. The reasons for boot loops are various, could be also configuration (which gets converted from v6 to v7 in wrong way). So what you may try to do is to netinstall unit to v7 but while not keeping the configuration. If device starts afterwards, use winbox MAC connection and configure device from scratch (possibly resetting configuration to factory default beforehand), using text export of config you created under v6 as a template. There are certain things that are done quite differently in v7, so don't just blindly copy-paste config, verify that your config fits the new defaults.

clivejo
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:58 pm

on Sunday I cleared the configuration to default and then tried an upgrade via System>Packages, but still won't boot. I have also tried installing v7 via netinstall and that won't work either! People have showed me the RBLHGGR running v7 software, just can't figure out why mine refuses to work!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:38 am

If you try to upgrade router "in a normal way" (either by hitting the upgrade button or by uploading newer npk files), then there will be something in log to indicate why upgrade failed. If you try to upgrade router using netinstall, then beware that this is a very fragile process and you have to be very alert to see when process fails. Either way, come back with more exact description of how exactly upgrade fails and we might be able to assist you further.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:47 am

Make sure you netinstall it with v7.3 which just came out. A reboot loop issue has been solved there.

clivejo
Topic Author

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:18 pm

If you try to upgrade router "in a normal way" (either by hitting the upgrade button or by uploading newer npk files), then there will be something in log to indicate why upgrade failed.
If the device doesn't boot how do I "see" the logs?!

clivejo
Topic Author

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:20 pm

Make sure you netinstall it with v7.3 which just came out. A reboot loop issue has been solved there.
Could you describe the process please? The device is mounted, outside on a mast and it is a big job getting it down to put it in netinstall mode.