Community discussions

MikroTik App

john231
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

LHGG link down, ethernet cable fault?

Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:34 pm

Hello, i have a CRS112-8P-4S-IN with a LHGG in ethernet port 5.
LHGG is grounded and is powered by the switch via cat5e cable over PoE.

Now the uptime of the switch is 15 days and during that time it shows me that the ether5 link has gone down 42 times.
I have seen it before happen in real time as well. The uptime of the LHGG goes to 0 as well as other interfaces. So basically it shows like the router is doing a restart, although there is nothing in the logs. When i reboot the switch and due to the the link drops there is a log row on LHGG that says “router was rebooted without proper shutdown”.

How can i identify this problem. If the cable is faulty how can i test the cable without totally replacing it?
There are some continuity testers as i have found out? The thing is that as the LHGG is outside and the switch is inside and there is only a small whole where the cable can fit through (without the connector) i need to make the connectors on the line ends myself. I have done this hundreds of times without any problems but atm the connectors look great. There seems to be (visually) good placement of each the individual wires inside the connector on both ends. I’m using T-568B standard for all the wirings.
Maybe there is some kind of cable tester i can use to make sure the fault is not in the cable when i do the connectors?

Basically i would like to find out if the fault is with the cable or LHGG itself or switch or something else entirely.