Community discussions

MikroTik App

technick
Topic Author

CCR 2004 PCIe (SFP28 ports not working)

Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:25 am

Hi,

I have my new CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe and am very impressed with the SFF design and possibilities for my server room, however I am having some issues with the SFP28 ports on the device and I would like some input.

PREFACE
I purchased generic "S-RJ01 compatible" RJ45 SFP modules from amazon to interface the router with my existing Gigabit network (in the meantime until I upgrade to Fiber).

PROBLEM
In the interfaces the SFP ports all show no activity, however in the details it shows SFP module present, and if I unplug the CAT6 cable it shows RX Loose -->plug it back in and it goes away. All the serial number and model information shows up for the SFP modules.

I've attempted the usual troubleshooting, such as disabling auto-negotiation, setting 1Gbps advertise, etc, and still no activity, and in cable test it always says "no link", different cables didn't change anything.

The strange part is that on my switch (unmanaged TP-link 1Gb switch) I see activity on the ports that plug into the CCR PCIe.

QUESTION
Are the Generic SFP modules to blame?

BONUS question
Another kind of strange thing I noticed under bridge settings the SFP28 modules all show "disabled port" - is a non-supported SFP going to disable the port? - and they both show as "slave" but I though the master-slave relationship was eliminated in 6.41 ROS? this is a brand new router with ROS 7.3, so why would the default configuration have this master-slave relationship on the bridge? My bridge is defaulting to the MGMT port being the master, which is dumb, since it's just a 1Gb (and it's supposed to be for management, not primary connection) and the router has 25Gb ports...which I want to use as WAN and LAN.

Please don't hesitate to ask for clarification of my post. I am hopeful the issues all lie in my SFP modules as I have already ordered new MikroTik brand S-RJ01 modules due here next week. I'm open to suggestions, whatever. Just looking for clarification myself.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CCR 2004 PCIe (SFP28 ports not working)

Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:54 pm

most the time using rj-45 sfp modules is looking for problems, you play the ethernet lottery

if you are considering rj-45 10g modules is worse beware of power and temperature potential problems

technick
Topic Author

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:08 pm

most the time using rj-45 sfp modules is looking for problems, you play the ethernet lottery

if you are considering rj-45 10g modules is worse beware of power and temperature potential problems
Good thing my plan is to go 10G fiber. Seems cheaper anyways.

technick
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:17 pm

After receiving my MikroTik brand RJ45 SFP modules, I have the same result. No link on SFP28-1 or SFP28-2 on this router.

Can someone at MikroTik confirm these SFP modules do not work on the CCR 2004 PCIe?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:22 pm

Is not compatible with any 1G SFP:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik ... ity#1G_SFP

Try disabling auto negotiation and set it manually to 10Gb full duplex on both sides

technick
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:41 pm

Is not compatible with any 1G SFP:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik ... ity#1G_SFP

Try disabling auto negotiation and set it manually to 10Gb full duplex on both sides
Thanks for pointing to that page, I have come across many pages similar to that one however they either showed support for all SFP modules under the PCIe card, or completely omitted the PCIe card from the list.

One list also said all SFP S-RJ01 modules worked in all mikrotik devices. This was all rather confusing. Guess I'll be trying some SFP+ modules next.

Setting auto-negotiation to off and setting any speed did not change its non-functioning state.

EDIT: I see the wiki on the mikrotik page was updated today regarding this exact device/issue.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:39 pm

But I remember already that 1G modules not work on that model, I do not remember where I read that first :?:

technick
Topic Author

Re: CCR 2004 PCIe (SFP28 ports not working)  [SOLVED]

Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:27 am

With my new 10GTek 10G-BASE-T RJ45 modules, I can confirm they work. My SFP28 ports have come alive!