Community discussions

MikroTik App

danslek
just joined
Topic Author

[ASK] Auto Switch ISP on Fail Over

Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:51 am

im sorry for my bad english but i wanna ask about fail over and im noob to mikrotik btw.

i'm using Mikrotik RB960PGS and i just installed VSAT in case my main ISP are down.
what i've got so far:
  • ETH 1 connect to my ISP
  • ETH 2 connect to VSAT modem
  • ETH 3 - none
  • ETH 4 - LAN to Unmanage Switch
  • ETH 5 - none
currently im using hotspot on my ETH 4. i tried to change eth 1 route 0.0.0.0/0 check gateway to ping and distance 1, when i connect the eth 2 to VSAT modem it automatically add dhcp client on the port so i cannot edit the route 0.0.0.0/0 on eth 2, so i deleted the route and added it manually using the provided ip and only add distance to 2. i already added masqurade on eth 1 and 2 and also added the ip addresses. when i tested it the route are switched correctly but the internet not connected to VSAT.

can someone elaborate me please? thank you!

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: [ASK] Auto Switch ISP on Fail Over

Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:06 pm

I am surprised by a DHCP client to be automatically attached to an Ethernet interface - I can only imagine this to be done by the mysterious detect-internet functionality, but my quick test did not confirm that. So maybe it is a misunderstanding and what you actually wanted to say was that the route was added automatically once you had manually attached a DHCP client to ether2 in order to get an address from the VSAT modem?

If the DHCP client has indeed been added dynamically, set all the interface lists under /interface internet-detect to none to see whether the dynamically added DHCP client disappears and you'll be able to add one manually, configured the way you need.

Once you have a manually added DHCP client attached to ether2, set add-default-route=no on that /ip dhcp-client row or, maybe even better, just set default-route-distance=5 there, as you only want to use the VSAT link as a backup I suppose (i.e. not for load distribution). If my assumption is correct, it is enough to monitor the transparency of the primary WAN (via ether1) using the recursive next-hop search as described here - since you have no further backup anyway, there is no action left to take if the VSAT fails, so there's no point in monitoring its transparency.

If it still doesn't work and you need further advice, instead of posting a few screenshots, follow the hint in my automatic signature right below.

danslek
just joined
Topic Author

Re: [ASK] Auto Switch ISP on Fail Over

Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:41 am

I am surprised by a DHCP client to be automatically attached to an Ethernet interface - I can only imagine this to be done by the mysterious detect-internet functionality, but my quick test did not confirm that. So maybe it is a misunderstanding and what you actually wanted to say was that the route was added automatically once you had manually attached a DHCP client to ether2 in order to get an address from the VSAT modem?

If the DHCP client has indeed been added dynamically, set all the interface lists under /interface internet-detect to none to see whether the dynamically added DHCP client disappears and you'll be able to add one manually, configured the way you need.

Once you have a manually added DHCP client attached to ether2, set add-default-route=no on that /ip dhcp-client row or, maybe even better, just set default-route-distance=5 there, as you only want to use the VSAT link as a backup I suppose (i.e. not for load distribution). If my assumption is correct, it is enough to monitor the transparency of the primary WAN (via ether1) using the recursive next-hop search as described here - since you have no further backup anyway, there is no action left to take if the VSAT fails, so there's no point in monitoring its transparency.

If it still doesn't work and you need further advice, instead of posting a few screenshots, follow the hint in my automatic signature right below.
thank you mate, ill try what you suggest first