Community discussions

MikroTik App

AlekseyNT
just joined
Topic Author

Lightning kills PoE on RB960PGS

Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:27 am

Good time!
I apologize in advance for my English language. By PoE, I have 2 cameras connected (on port 2 and 3). The camera remained alive after a thunderstorm. Mikrotik partially survived, namely: it turns on, all ports work, even the settings are preserved. But along the line, PoE writes overload. Found defective 2 transistors, 3 resistors. But the operational amplifier is still in question. Could he have been killed?
A little later I will upload a photo of the damage.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Lightning kills PoE on RB960PGS

Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:48 pm

I honestly don't understand what you have opened up to do this topic, if it's broken, it's broken.

marekm

Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:05 pm

Perhaps the hardware design could be improved for better ESD protection. The cameras survived and so should the MT device. EMC immunity tests should catch such issues. Yes they are quite expensive, and often destructive for the tested devices. Nothing will protect against direct lightning strike, but it probably wasn't one (the cameras would not survive it). In places where lightning strikes are a problem, it is good to not use PoE at all, but separate power (easier to protect) and fiber for data instead.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:09 pm

Ok, fiber for data, and power?
You need everytime to use some cable for transport power, you MUST protect the power source, not the remote devices.
If the remote deviecs are directly involved, do not survive anything...