MikroTik App

NAB
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

IPSec pre-process PH2 packet

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:11 pm

Hi all,

I've been asked to replicate one end of a Cisco<-->Cisco IPSec connection so it becomes RouterOS<-->Cisco.

The spec. is:
S2S VPN Details	

VPN Parameters	
Equipment type	CISCO ASR 1002-X
VPN Peer IP Address	193.X.Y.Z
Encryption Domain	193.X.Y.Z (SVTI)
 IKE Ph I Parameters	
Authentication Method	PSK
Pre-Shared Key	SECRETKEY
Hash	sha 512
Encryption Algorithm	aes-256
DH-Group	14
Life Time ( Seconds )	28800
Mode (Aggressive/Main)	Main

IKE Ph II Parameters 	
Encapsulation Protocol	ESP
Encryption Algorithm	AES
Authentication Algorithm	sha512/sha256/sha
PFS / DH-group	none
Life Time ( Seconds )	3600
Life Time ( KB )	4608000
Encapsulation Mode	Tunnel

Communication Domain	
CISCO-END  ROUTEROS-END
10.A.B.C	10.D.E.F/28
My configuration is:
/ip ipsec mode-config set [ find default=yes ] use-responder-dns=no
/ip ipsec profile add dh-group=modp2048 enc-algorithm=aes-256 hash-algorithm=sha512 lifebytes=4608000 lifetime=8h name=ike-profile
/ip ipsec peer add address=193.X.Y.Z/32 exchange-mode=aggressive local-address=46.U.V.W name=ike-peer profile=ike-profile
/ip ipsec proposal add auth-algorithms=sha512 enc-algorithms=aes-128-cbc lifetime=1h name=ike-proposal pfs-group=none
/ip ipsec identity add auth-method=pre-shared-key disabled=no generate-policy=no peer=ike-peer secret=SECRETKEY
/ip ipsec policy add dst-address=10.A.B.C/32 level=unique peer=ike-peer proposal=ike-proposal src-address=10.D.E.F/28 tunnel=yes
Phase 1 and phase 2 establish connection and then after 10 seconds or so, I get:
Screenshot 2022-06-14 110821.png
and then the installed SAs are deleted and the whole process starts again.

I've got to the stage where I think I've tried everything and nothing works. I'm sure I've missed something that's really obvious.

Can anybody spot anything? Please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bonemancer
just joined

Re: IPSec pre-process PH2 packet

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:19 pm

It seems that You have 0.0.0.0/0 <=> 0.0.0.0/0 as Your policy traffic selector.
You need to specify networks that are behind Your Cisco and RouterOS for them to establish phase 2.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:51 pm

You need to specify networks that are behind Your Cisco and RouterOS for them to establish phase 2.
I thought that's what I'd done as phase 2 shows as established (until the error occurs and the SAs are deleted). Where the 0.0.0.0/0 addresses are coming from is, I think, what I am misunderstanding.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:21 pm

OK. Got to the bottom of it. It seems that I'd done everything correctly, but that there's a mis-configuration on the remote site.

The remote site appear to have set their proposed phase 2 subnet to 0.0.0.0/0 / 0.0.0.0/0. When I replicate this, the VPN stays up and works perfectly.

The problem with this is that the IPSec policy for 0.0.0.0/0 overrides the routing table (as per https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Packet_Flow_v6) which means that the ROS box then tries to route all traffic down the VPN. I can't see an obvious way to avoid this from happening for all but the required destination addresses.

I've bounced this back to the remote party, but if anybody here has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

bonemancer
just joined

Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:46 pm

There is too many issues about 0.0.0.0/0 <> 0.0.0.0/0 policies.
I am currently in process of solving same issue.
While connecting to AWS VPN Amazon support give an advice of using 0.0.0.0/0 policy, which is not actually right...
Will give an update on my case when done, as I spent much time searching for resolution and speaking to AWS Support.
At the moment waiting for reply from them...

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:02 pm

The problem with this is that the IPSec policy for 0.0.0.0/0 overrides the routing table (as per https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Packet_Flow_v6) which means that the ROS box then tries to route all traffic down the VPN. I can't see an obvious way to avoid this from happening for all but the required destination addresses.
The IPsec policies are examined from first to last until first match, same like firewall rules, routing rules etc.

So you can put a bunch of action=none policies before the 0.0.0.0/0<=>0.0.0.0/0 one, shadowing the latter for all other subnets than the one you wish to actually get through. E.g if you want only 128.0.0.0/2 to be tunnelled, you use
src-address=0.0.0.0/0 dst-address=0.0.0.0/1 action=none
src-address=0.0.0.0/0 dst-address=192.0.0.0/2 action=none
src-address=0.0.0.0/0 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 action=encrypt peer=...

So you need as many shadowing rules as there are bits of the prefix you want to tunnel; if you need multiple prefixes, it becomes even more complex. So nothing for everyday use.

With IKEv2 it is easier because the policies can be negotiated (narrowed down by each peer), not your case here.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:37 pm

So you can put a bunch of action=none policies before the 0.0.0.0/0<=>0.0.0.0/0 one, shadowing the latter for all other subnets than the one you wish to actually get through.

Sadly this doesn't appear to work. I have tried it as per your examples and also with source network and also setting the peer. It seems that 'action=none' rules are ignored :-(

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:40 pm

It seems that 'action=none' rules are ignored :-(
No way. What exactly did you configure? What is the RouterOS version?

NAB
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:43 pm

No way. What exactly did you configure? What is the RouterOS version?
This definitely doesn't work. ROS 7.3 and 7.3.1 on a CHR. In addition, I am seeing some newly added policies marked as 'invalid' for no apparent reason which only become valid after a reboot. It seems that when I do reboot the 'none' policy rules do work, but as soon as the tunnel goes down, some of the rules go invalid and then none of them work any more.

I'm now downgrading to v6... We'll see what happens.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:53 pm

I'm now downgrading to v6... We'll see what happens.
v6.49.6 worked perfectly straight away with exactly the same configuration.

So there are clearly bugs in ROS 7.3 and 7.3.1 on CHR.
1 - Adding a policy with a valid destination may or may not show that policy as invalid.
2 - Rebooting the router then shows any previously invalid policies as valid.
3 - Disabling and then re-enabling the policy that was invalid and then became valid after a reboot then marks that policy as invalid (until the next reboot).
4 - Throughout all of the above, all policies with action=none are ignored.