Community discussions

MikroTik App

rick19810
just joined
Topic Author

I'm Missing Something Simple - Pinging RB260GS Switches

Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:04 am

I'm new to managed switches, VLANs, and SFP fiber connections.
I am setting up a network separate from my home network.
The new network will use static IP addresses.
I have a Win11 PC that will be on both LANs. I've installed a second NIC in it, with the IP set to 198.168.50.1 and DHCP disabled.
I have 2 RB260GS switches (SwOS). "Address Acq" was set to "static" and IP addresses 198.162.50.102 and .104 assigned. All the other settings as far as I can tell are out-of-the box settings (no VLANs, no restrictions, etc).
When I connect each switch directly to the PC, I can log onto them.
I thought the next test was an easy one: A daisy-chain connection from the PC to the .102 switch to the .104 switch to make sure the switches pass data over Ethernet (a prelude to testing the SFP connection).
When I do this, the PC can't see the second switch.
I can ping and log onto the directly-connected switch, but I can't ping or log into the switch on the other side.
I have tested and swapped cables, so I'm 95% confident that's not the issue.
I'm convinced I'm missing something easy, but I should be able to ping stuff on the other side of the switch, including another switch, right?

rick19810
just joined
Topic Author

Re: I'm Missing Something Simple - Pinging RB260GS Switches

Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:42 pm

Well, I hate it when problems simply disappear.
I tried one more thing, which was to plug in another device into the first switch - just to see how a non-switch device would respond.
Not only did the added device respond, but then the second switch started to respond.
This make no sense to me, but since I can't replicate the problem for now, this issue seems moot.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: I'm Missing Something Simple - Pinging RB260GS Switches

Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:10 am

My first guess is the cable between the two switches was loose or not fully plugged in - and when you plugged in the additional device, you disturbed that cable just enough so that it started working.
Out of the box (unless you have changed stuff), all the ports should talk to each other just fine.

Just out of curiosity are they RB260GS or CSS106-5G-1S (shown on the System tab), and what firmware version is being used (shown on the Upgrade tab)? Note that there is no Upgrade tab on the older RB260GS.