Community discussions

MikroTik App

whitebengal
just joined
Topic Author

Port Compatibility

Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:07 pm

Looking at powering up some hardware that is under utilized and trying to go above 10G is confusing as can be. So I'm looking for solutions for connecting the following at something above 10G.

Cisco CBS350-48P-4X (POE, 48 Port, 4 SFP+ uplinks, supports some kind of trunking at least to other CISCO switches)
Mikrotik CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe (25G, but down clocks to 10G) [Used on a 5gbps symmetric WAN fiber circuit]
Mikrotik CRS326-24S+2Q+RM (40G to server over twin axial, other port not in use yet)

The server is basically pushing a lot of filesystem data from raid SSD that can easily hit over 40 gbps sustained. Think large data sets shared over network file system for custom programs doing post processing. 10G isn't an issue with this equipment, but I'd like to bump up the links to at least 25G to avoid congestion with the switch trunks. I know about the Mikrotik CRS504-4XQ-IN, and at $685 + tax + shipping each. It isn't going to break the bank, but that only solves part of the issue. I still would like to bump up the 10G on the Cisco somehow. The Cisco is currently handling POE data collection nodes and I'm bumping up against the 10G link speed.

Reading these network manuals is a pain, even if you know what you are doing. I handle the software side more than the networking back end, but I'm stuck with this situation. Simple link configuration I'm fine with, trying to load balance/bond/trunk/etc... leaves me clueless. Cisco alludes that I can use a reverse QSFP+ adapter, but I have no idea how the Mikrotik units would react to something like this.

Later on, I need to add Thunderbolt-IP to the mix for M1 data processing stations. I'm sure running a bridge linux box just so macOS can talk faster than 10G is going to be a lesson in hair pulling. I haven't found even a working 25G solution for the M1, let alone the M2 then just released.