Community discussions

MikroTik App

oguruma
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CapsMan: Differentiating APs?

Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:36 am

I'm playing around with CapsMan in my lab. One question I have is how to differentiate between the different APs?

Suppose I have an exsting setup with a CapsMan and 2x CapXLs. When I connect a third CapXL (in CapsMAN mode), how do I differentiate between the old and new APs other than already knowing what their MAC addresses are?

Or, suppose I need to troubleshoot an AP (as in, the hardware itself) how do I locate it on the premises? Is there a way to make a light blink or some other method in the event that I don't have them labeled/mapped out throughout the building?

Ca6ko

Re: CapsMan: Differentiating APs?

Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:31 pm

Each access point must operate on its own frequency, it is by frequencies they need to be distinguished.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:26 pm

If you wander around looking for a particular AP, then any wireless scanner (android wifi device running appropriate app would do) will show MAC addresses of radios serving particular SSID ... if the way strongest signal shows MAC of radio belonging to AP you are looking for and there's suspiciously familiarly looking AP in close vicinity, then most likely you just found it.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:45 am

Cut off the LEDs

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:09 am

I'm playing around with CapsMan in my lab. One question I have is how to differentiate between the different APs?

Suppose I have an exsting setup with a CapsMan and 2x CapXLs. When I connect a third CapXL (in CapsMAN mode), how do I differentiate between the old and new APs other than already knowing what their MAC addresses are?

Or, suppose I need to troubleshoot an AP (as in, the hardware itself) how do I locate it on the premises? Is there a way to make a light blink or some other method in the event that I don't have them labeled/mapped out throughout the building?
For your first question, you rename the interfaces in capsman after they have been provisioned. Or you set the cAP device identity before they are provisioned so that their identity is useful. And name them with some scheme that makes sense for you.