Community discussions

MikroTik App

lordboos
just joined
Topic Author

Help: ping and upload/download speed issues possibly related to PPPoE and FastTrack

Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:07 am

Hello, I have hAP AC2 (RouterOs 7.3.1) and I recently I have begin to experience weird behavior I think it is related to fasttrack. I have LAN port 1 (named "[1] WAN ether" in Mikrotik) used for PPoE Client which is connected to optical-to-ethernet converter. I pay for 1000/500 internet speed. In my setup,there is also a small Home Assistant server connected to the LAN port 5 and to the LAN port 3 there is a 1 Gbps switch connected and to that switch I have connected 3 more devices - 2 desktop PCs and Nvidia Shield TV.
Recently my ping went up and speeds are wonky.

All following results are from the same speedtest server and the same speedtest node for consistency:
So in the morning, my ping and speeds were great with fasttrack enabled and basically what I would expect with this internet provider. But now at the evening, my ping is much higher and download speed is very slow with enabled fasttrack, when I disable fasttrack, it fixes the upload speed, but lowers my download speed (presumably because of higher CPU usage) and the ping is still kind of high.

Weird thing is that I did not change any settings on my Mikrotik so I'm really confused as to what is actually happening. Could it be some misconfiguration or could it be related to the switch? Can somebody explain this mystery to me?

This is export from my firewall filter rules:
    Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid; D - dynamic 
     0  D ;;; special dummy rule to show fasttrack counters
          chain=forward action=passthrough 
     1    ;;; defconf: accept in ipsec policy
          chain=forward action=accept log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec 
     2    ;;; defconf: accept out ipsec policy
          chain=forward action=accept log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,ipsec 
     3    ;;; defconf: fasttrack
          chain=forward action=fasttrack-connection hw-offload=yes connection-state=established,related log=no log-prefix="" 
     4    ;;; defconf: accept established,related, untracked
          chain=forward action=accept connection-state=established,related,untracked log=no log-prefix="" 
     5    chain=input action=accept connection-state=established log=no log-prefix="" 
     6    chain=input action=accept connection-state=related log=no log-prefix="" 
     7    chain=input action=accept protocol=icmp limit=5,5:packet log=no log-prefix="" 
     8    ;;; MS multiplayer
          chain=forward action=accept protocol=udp dst-port=88,3074,53,500,3544,4500,52684,524 log=no log-prefix="" 
     9    ;;; MS multiplayer
          chain=forward action=accept protocol=tcp dst-port=3070,53 log=no log-prefix="" 
    10    ;;; defconf: drop invalid
          chain=forward action=drop connection-state=invalid log=no log-prefix="" 
    11    ;;; defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed
          chain=forward action=drop connection-state=new connection-nat-state=!dstnat in-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" 
    12    chain=input action=drop in-interface-list=!LAN log=no log-prefix=""
Export from my NAT:
    Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid; D - dynamic 
     0    ;;; defconf: masquerade
          chain=srcnat action=masquerade out-interface-list=WAN log=no log-prefix="" ipsec-policy=out,none 
     1    chain=srcnat action=masquerade out-interface=BSC log=no log-prefix="" 
     2    ;;; HA TCP
          chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.0.100 to-ports=443 protocol=tcp in-interface-list=WAN dst-port=443,80 log=no log-prefix="" 
     3    ;;; HA UDP
          chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.0.100 to-ports=443 protocol=udp in-interface-list=WAN dst-port=443,80 log=no log-prefix="" 
     4    ;;; RDP TCP
          chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.0.10 to-ports=3389 protocol=tcp in-interface-list=WAN dst-port=3390 log=no log-prefix="" 
     5    ;;; RDP UDP
          chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.0.10 to-ports=3389 protocol=udp in-interface-list=WAN dst-port=3390 log=no log-prefix="" 
     6    ;;; ARK
          chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.0.12 protocol=tcp in-interface-list=WAN dst-port=27000-27031,27036-27037,25147 log=no log-prefix="" 
     7    ;;; ARK
          chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.0.12 protocol=udp in-interface-list=WAN dst-port=27000-27031,25147,27015,27036,7777-7778,4380 log=no log-prefix="" 
     8    ;;; MC server
          chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.0.12 protocol=udp in-interface-list=WAN dst-port=25565 log=no log-prefix="" 
     9    ;;; MC server
          chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.0.12 protocol=tcp in-interface-list=WAN dst-port=25565 log=no log-prefix=""
My PPPoE interface:
    Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid; R - running 
     0  R name="internet_T-mobile" max-mtu=auto max-mru=auto mrru=disabled interface=[1] WAN ether user="REDACTED" password="REDACTED" profile=default 
          keepalive-timeout=10 service-name="" ac-name="" add-default-route=yes default-route-distance=1 dial-on-demand=no use-peer-dns=yes allow=pap,chap,mschap1,mschap2
Interface list members:
    # LIST  INTERFACE        
    ;;; defconf
    0 LAN   bridge           
    ;;; defconf
    1 WAN   internet_T-mobile
    2 WAN   [1] WAN ether
If any more exports are required to troubleshot my issue, please ask and I'll deliver.

lordboos
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Help: ping and upload/download speed issues possibly related to PPPoE and FastTrack

Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:18 am

Looks like my issue was resolved by downgrading RouterOS from 7.3.1 to 7.1.5. I hope this will fix my issue permanently.