Community discussions

MikroTik App

Lamerica
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik bandwidth access

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:43 am

Hello,
I'm new to mikrotik and at work i have inherit at new job this equipment. We have a problem with bandwitdh to internet. In ETH1 we have the cable from ISP where he have a public static IP. In ETH8 we have connected the cable to a firewall and then to our internal network. I have tested the internet connection with the cable from ISP directly connected to a laptop and the speed is ok ( 900Mbps download and 300 Mbps upload ). Then i made a test from mikrotik ETH8 where he have setup a subnet /29 from ISP ; i setup a ip from that subnet to a laptop and make the test and the speed was ~25 Mbps . The ISP said that there is no problem with IPs speed and limitation on the subnet . I'e google it and see that there is no queues , and in firewall there is nothing suspect ( or i cannot see something wrong ).
Can you please help me ?

Lamerica
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Mikrotik bandwidth access

Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:58 pm

Hello,
I find the problem, is the mikrotik CPU, when we make a speedtest it rise up to 100%...

Lamerica
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:09 am

Is it normal to comport like that ? The CPU goes up to 100% on a speedtest where the bandwidth is ~35 Mbps ? There must be no problem at this speed; it`s not 10Gbps and the router's CPU cannot handle that bandwitdh... There are some settings that i have to do? Thx

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:45 am

Do you like your monologue?
You haven't even specified what you're talking about.
You can very well use from a hAP lite to the most powerful CCR, and who knows?
And what version of RouterOS are you using? 3.16 on a RB493G or 7.3.1 on a RB5009?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:00 pm

Then i made a test from mikrotik ETH8 where he have setup a subnet /29 from ISP
We unfortunately have to guess how you have configured this.
How is ETH1 and ETH8 connected in the config?
ETH1 is in the ISP subnet here?
Is ETH8 also using that same subnet?
Then ETH1 and ETH8 can not be routed, but should be linked to the same bridge. (And the laptop gets it's IP address from the /29 from the ISP.)

ETH1 and ETH8 have no IP in this case, only the bridge could have one ( only if needed). /29 is limited in IP addresses.

Then traffic will not pass firewall or CPU. ETH1-ETH8 is connected L2 by the switch.

This not a usual setup.

Default Home AP will make ETH1 the WAN connection, Masquerading the (bridged) LAN connections and NAT them all to just one /29 address, LAN with it's own private, even large, IP subnet and DHCP server as needed.

LdB
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:28 am

When that happens it usually means you created a loop :-)

Got the interfaces menu and look at the data flowing in/out the ports and you will need to supply model and sanitized config for anyone to help.