Community discussions

MikroTik App

miko385
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

mikrotik station killing tp-link AP

Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:38 pm

i have a weird problem which i cannot bypass so i'm here to ask for help.
tp-link re200 acting as AP in the living room. perfect speed, 50mbit on 2.4ghz and 95mbit on 5ghz. covers the entire living room,kitchen and terrace. i'm happy. had this toy for 2 years and with 2 laptops , 2 phones and a media player never any problem. marvel of cheap electronics, costed like 15 eur.
now to extend the wifi further to the yard i bought mikrotik metal 5 with a stick omni antenna, so that it can cover around 100m around the house till the end of the street (before anyone saying it can't - it can. i get signal on the phone,in the car, the moment i show up around the corner of the street).

so now it was time to play with connecting the metal to my network. i have just a power socket on the terrace, no lan cabling anywhere so i was going with the idea to set up the mikrotik as wifi repeater.
and here the thing fails:
in wifi interface, i select station, hit scan, find my tplink AP ssid, hit connect - and yes it connects.
it will never get an IP. even if i select station-pseudobridge it will never get an ip.
i created a virtual wlan interface, as AP-bridge and created the extended network. so now i have eth1, wlan1 and wlan2 in bridge. my phone will connect to the newly created wifi network and never get the ip either.
also the moment the mikrotik say "connected to ESS" my tplink dies, i cannot access it anymore from my lan network, devices connected to it stop accessing internet, i cannot even ping it. the moment i unplug the mikrotik, tplink goes back alive and can again ping it or access it.
is there any way to connect mikrotik via wifi to my existing tplink, and then repeating the wifi over?
thanks

Ca6ko

Re: mikrotik station killing tp-link AP

Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:21 am

1. Wifi zone extension can be done normally only when the access points are connected by cable.
2. Repeater mode can be normally used 15 years ago, when the speed was 2-5 mbps and used a maximum of 1-2 clients. Now with today's requirements to the speed of the Internet it is impossible to use. The peculiarity is that only the connection of the repeater immediately divides the speed by 2, and still by 2 divides the speed of each device client connecting to the wifi. Total if you connect 5 clients, the speed drops to 64 times!
3. using one access point with a network radius of 100 m is a very bad idea.