MikroTik App

kashifzai86
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mikroitk Perfomace over 1500suscribers - Issue

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:14 am

Dear All Forum Members and Experts

I want to know a Practical Solution for the issue I'm addressing below.

I have almost 1600 subscribers and around 1.9gb bandwidth is utilized. My CPU is running overall to 30%---to--45% every time. I'm running PPPoE Server and my clients are connecting using PPPoE Russia protocols to my Mikrotik Server. Sometimes when any area's Electric disconnected almost 300 users disconnect at the same time, and when Electric come again they get connected again but in between this my CPU went to almost 100% as connection tracking is doing its hard job at that time.

I'm trying to figure out the issue for quite a long time but have not been able to fix this issue, I need a Faster Mikroitk or something else that can handle all these things or any other methods I need to follow to serve the internet to users because sometimes users complaining about slow/delayed speed of internet. I have below configuration specs:-

Mikrotik CCR1036
PPPoE server configured
CGNating also used
DNS Server installed separately
DHCP is assigned by Cisco 4948e switch.

Should I go for CCR1072 or should I go for CCR2116-12G-4S+

Please do help Experts??

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikroitk Perfomace over 1500suscribers - Issue

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:55 am

I'm not sure I'd replace the router at all. It's clearly well-sized for your normal load case.

Instead, I'd look for a way to apply some type of queueing to PPPoE connection establishment packets, to calm the thundering herd. There's no good reason you should be expected to handle reconnection by nearly 1/4 of your customer base instantly. Bring them in over a span of a minute or so. That's fast enough.

kashifzai86
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:07 pm

I'm not sure I'd replace the router at all. It's clearly well-sized for your normal load case.

Instead, I'd look for a way to apply some type of queueing to PPPoE connection establishment packets, to calm the thundering herd. There's no good reason you should be expected to handle reconnection by nearly 1/4 of your customer base instantly. Bring them in over a span of a minute or so. That's fast enough.
Nothing I understand dear, What should I do??

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:53 pm

take a look at this webinar about separate functions

https://stubarea51.net/2022/05/02/webin ... functions/

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Mikroitk Perfomace over 1500suscribers - Issue  [SOLVED]

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:59 pm

Best of all go to separate function of devices, one device for NAT and other one PPPoE Server + Queues adn Connection Tracking Disabled! With this type of connection I have 2XCCR1036 with 5Gbps and 2.3k customers without any problem!