Community discussions

MikroTik App

rjmessing
just joined
Topic Author

Help Configuring CAPsMan

Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:19 pm

I'm needing help with configuring CAPsMan. I have configured my hEX as the CAPsMAN server and have set the cAPs to be in CAP mode to pull the config.

This is the first problem I have. I have set up the wireless config in CAPsMAN to test the config and have found that I get around 130mb/s down. I have configured the cAP to "Home AP Dual" and tested the speed and I get around 375mb/s.

Second problem is this, I'm trying to configure the wireless with vlans. What is the limitation to how many vlans I can have on a cAP? I'm trying to have 4 vlans to segregate the network. So far my config in CAPsMAN only broadcasts 1 of the ssids I have configured for each vlan. Other Problem is that my second cAP doesn't pull any config from the server and I'm unable to provision the radios.

Also I'm not sure of the settings shown on the wireless table. I see the 2 red lines, but I'm not sure if that's an error or normal. Also the line for the actual wlan has band and Frequency that doesn't match what I've set.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ca6ko

Re: Help Configuring CAPsMan

Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:55 pm

You need to figure out how wifi works.
And how to configure wifi networks, not a single point.
viewtopic.php?t=185700#p931283

rjmessing
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:42 pm

You need to figure out how wifi works.
And how to configure wifi networks, not a single point.
viewtopic.php?t=185700#p931283
Thanks for the reply.
I read the link, but it doesn't answer my main issues. I agree with you that CAPsMAN is convenient for setting up the WiFI as all settings are centralized. Maybe I missed something in the reading, but points in the topic linked were mostly about knowing what channel to put the APs at. If you looked at my config I posted you'll see I have several channels configured, maybe somewhat mis-configured, but I took the time to check what channels I could use around my area that has the least amount of interference, I may revisit those as a precaution to keep neighbors' setups from interfering with my network.

My issue mainly is configuring the CAPsMAN to configure my routers correctly so that I can utilize them as a mesh network as well as being able to configure the network in 1 location. I'm also a newb when it comes to ROS and am not familiar with everything. I keep looking up how to configure this but get conflicting information, or not enough information. I see how to setup a vlan but can't find any information as to how many vlans can be configured to wireless or if there is a way to configure a virtual radio of some kind to broadcast the other vlans on non-interfering channels. This is the information that I require to make my network work or depending on the information change my network to something that works better than what I have in mind.

Here is a topic I have going for the hEX issues I was having, which for the most part is working though I need some help with firewall config for the vlans. This will also give you a rundown on how I have my network setup currently. viewtopic.php?t=186560

I'm open to suggestions or even scrapping my config for a more simple one. But I'd like to have the multiple vlans to segregate the network to help protect against hacking of devices. This will also alleviate my dependence on 3 routers configured as APs utilizing 2 different firmwares.

rjmessing
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:08 pm

I have fixed the issue of the second AP not being seen. I had to reset the router and the APs to factory which resolved that issue.

I still can't figure out the multi vlan config through Capsman though I see the examples of making a guest network, but have found nothing for 3 or more vlans.

rjmessing
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:53 am

I'm still needing help with CapsMan. I still can't get vlans working for wireless

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:11 am

If you decide to ditch capsman I will help with vlans......... not capsman savvy so dont want to lead you astray.
I see no need for capsman in most home setttings.

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:59 am

I'm still needing help with CapsMan. I still can't get vlans working for wireless
What's going on buddy? is it that you still are not getting the other interfaces popping up? easy fix, want to go to your capsman provisioning for me and set the action to be, create, dynamic, enabled? Has to be set to that if you would like virtual AP's to be provisioned. The other way is to make a static cap interface manually and set the master interface to your physical one :)
If thats not the only issue let us know a bit more on what is happening so we can assist further.

Other than that man well done, your vlans config looks nice, no vlan interfaces in the same bridge as physical ports and I can see you are tagging the bridge to bring the traffic up from the bridge to the interface vlan.

One thing to note is the behaviour on how the vlan tagging works when setting it through the wireless interface, dont think its going to cause you any issues but it is important to know what is happening to the traffic for troubleshooting :) (from the mikrotik wiki):
vlan-mode -- VLAN tagging mode specifies if VLAN tag should be assigned to interface (causes all received data to get tagged with VLAN tag and allows interface to only send out data tagged with given tag)