Community discussions

MikroTik App

grelle
just joined
Topic Author

Unable to reset Mikrotik hEX and faulty IP

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:30 pm

Bought this Mikrotik hEX (RB750Gr3) and powered it up connected on LAN2 to my USB-Ethernet adapter and Macbook. I instantly got IP (192.168.88.X) and was able to browse the webinterface on 88.1. Moved around there and setup a password, saved it and as far as I can remember clicked the logout button to the far upper right. After that I lost my LAN IP number and was assigned a faulty 169. adress. Have tried to reset the router 100 times, using all different kind of reset procedures including the official. When I release the resetbutton after the USR LED starts to blink, the router gives a boot-beep and then nothing has changed. It still gives me 169 adress on all 4 LAN ports. I have changed cable. Rebooted my mac, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Unplugged the USB - Ethernet adaptor, connected my computer to another router (which works fine). I have tried to assign a static .88 adress to no success. The router lights up as it should, the activity LED on the connected port flashes.

EDIT: When connecting internet cable to "Internet" port and still being connected to LAN via port2. I get the public IP of my provider and can use the internet. It seems to be stuck in some bridge mode ? Just tested Router on -> reset 30sec -> router off -> reset 30sec -> router on -> reset 30sec but nothing changes. It is impossible to access router via web interface

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Unable to reset Mikrotik hEX and faulty IP

Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:16 pm

169.254.x.y/16 simply means that you do not get an address from the DHCP server because it is unavailable for any reasons... so it is not a faulty address... you can learn more about it by searching for "Automatic Private IP Addressing"...
Did you try to connect the hap to another computer and see if the result is the same ?

grelle
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:27 pm

Yes I'm aware that it is an IP adress and that it is self assigned because of some DHCP problem.
No the router behaves the same to multiple computers. What is puzzling me is that it does not reset to defaults when performing the reset procedure.

I mean, I have to have set some option without knowing. It now behaves as a modem, a bridge. Just like I wrote above if I provide an ethernet connection to port 1, say my home router and then connect my computer to port 2. The DHCP from my home router get's distributed over port 2 on my Mikrotik. But everything connected to port 2-5 with port 1 not connected ends up with a 169 adress.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:01 pm

The correct procedure to reset the router to factory configuration is described here. Just ignore the LED behaviour during, say, first two seconds after applying the power. Also, do not press the reset button before applying power - doing so would switch to a backup bootloader which is usually not what you need.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:02 pm

Use Winbox on any interface but eth1 and see if you can connect using Mac.
Then check config...

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:16 pm

Also, do not press the reset button before applying power - doing so would switch to a backup bootloader which is usually not what you need.
It will switch to the backup bootloader but the device can still be reset with no problems...

grelle
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:14 am

The correct procedure to reset the router to factory configuration is described here. Just ignore the LED behaviour during, say, first two seconds after applying the power. Also, do not press the reset button before applying power - doing so would switch to a backup bootloader which is usually not what you need.
Does not make the router go back to responding on any of the LAN ports 2-5. I release the reset button when the LED starts to blink. The router then beeps one time and after 15 sec it beeps two times. Normal I guess. But the IP adress is still 169.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:32 am

No answer from OP, on the suggestion to use MAC address, not IP address. ?

Use WinBox on PC. Select tab Neighbors and see if the hEX appears in the list. Select the MAC address shown there and connect.

If the address of the hEX was 192.168.88.1/24 (the default) before, and you are not getting an IP address (and the PC switches to 169 private address. Give your PC manually (static) IP address 192.168.88.2/24. Try to connect.

Many things could have happened ... 1) ether2 is disconnected from the bridge (DHCP server is on the bridge),
2) or ether1 is also connected to the bridge (all interfaces to the bridge) , suppressing the hEX DHCP server as the ISP DHCP server is seen.

Sniff (e.g. Wireshark on PC) what you receive from the hEX. You might learn about how the interface is connected, and what IP address is used

Only use the documented method to reset: Resetting the RouterOS configuration
Hold this button until LED light starts flashing, release the button to reset RouterOS configuration to default.

The "fancy 3 x 30 seconds rule that is spread largely around on internet" as something valid for "all" devices: is a HOAX. it is not a usefull procedure for Mikrotik !
Avoid getting into the stronger reset modes (Caps , and certainly avoid getting into Netinstall, unless you are ready to do such step)

The reset button may need a hard and steady pressure. (Don't break it, but press and hold hard enough)
Routerboot protection may have been activated on the hEX, preventing the reset procedure. (Unless exact protection-set timing is used)

grelle
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:00 am

No answer from OP, on the suggestion to use MAC address, not IP address. ?

Use WinBox on PC. Select tab Neighbors and see if the hEX appears in the list. Select the MAC address shown there and connect.

If the address of the hEX was 192.168.88.1/24 (the default) before, and you are not getting an IP address (and the PC switches to 169 private address. Give your PC manually (static) IP address 192.168.88.2/24. Try to connect.

Many things could have happened ... 1) ether2 is disconnected from the bridge (DHCP server is on the bridge),
2) or ether1 is also connected to the bridge (all interfaces to the bridge) , suppressing the hEX DHCP server as the ISP DHCP server is seen.

Sniff (e.g. Wireshark on PC) what you receive from the hEX. You might learn about how the interface is connected, and what IP address is used

Only use the documented method to reset: Resetting the RouterOS configuration
Hold this button until LED light starts flashing, release the button to reset RouterOS configuration to default.

The "fancy 3 x 30 seconds rule that is spread largely around on internet" as something valid for "all" devices: is a HOAX. it is not a usefull procedure for Mikrotik !
Avoid getting into the stronger reset modes (Caps , and certainly avoid getting into Netinstall, unless you are ready to do such step)

The reset button may need a hard and steady pressure. (Don't break it, but press and hold hard enough)
Routerboot protection may have been activated on the hEX, preventing the reset procedure. (Unless exact protection-set timing is used)
Finally found a PC where I could use Winbox and the router was discovered in Neighbours. The router was set to bridge-mode. I did change it and now everything seems to work as expected. I have no idea why it was set to bridge-mode but I probably did this myself without knowing it. A bit odd though that I did not manage to reset it but as you mentioned maybe something prevented the reset procedure.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:15 am

A bit odd though that I did not manage to reset it but as you mentioned maybe something prevented the reset procedure.
This is critical for future - do check the "protected routerboard" and alike settings and remove them if needed. The idea of these settings is to prevent equipment theft by making a stolen equipment useless, i.e. by making it impossible to change its configuration unless you know the right time window (or the userame and password of course).

grelle
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:50 pm

A bit odd though that I did not manage to reset it but as you mentioned maybe something prevented the reset procedure.
This is critical for future - do check the "protected routerboard" and alike settings and remove them if needed. The idea of these settings is to prevent equipment theft by making a stolen equipment useless, i.e. by making it impossible to change its configuration unless you know the right time window (or the userame and password of course).
The protected routerboard was disabled. I don't have the knowledge of what other setting might cause this behaviour.