Community discussions

MikroTik App

oguruma
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Capsman Change CAP configuration?

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:40 am

Is it possible to change a cap's configuration once it's been provisioned by CapsMan?

I've been playing around with CapsMan in a lab, and I've gotten CapsMan to provision the cap, however I don't see any way to change that configuration, other than making a new configuration profile and powercyling the cap...

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Capsman Change CAP configuration?

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:18 pm

Are you having trouble editing the existing configuration?
After adjusting it, it will be provisioned.

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:03 pm

Yes there is.

You need to change your provisioning profile and remove 'dynamic'.
So change it from 'create dynamic enabled', to just 'create enabled'.
Then remove the interfaces and re-provision.

Now you can edit anything you want on the interfaces after they are created.

Ca6ko

Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:10 pm

You don't actually have to create configurations and provisioning in capsman, you can just create a cap interface
viewtopic.php?p=933264#p933264

oguruma
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:25 pm

I guess I'm a bit confused.

Assuming I have multiple CapsMan configurations created, it seems that when I connect a new cap, it always loads cfg1 (the one at the top of the list, it seems).

How do I select the configuration that I'd like the new Cap to use before I actually connect the cap to the network?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:04 am

In /caps-man provisioning section create specific provisioning rules. And set radio-mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx property matching the "special" CAP device to use particular provisioning rule. It seems that it really needs to be specific MAC address, no wildcard/mask is accepted. MAC address to be set in radio-mac property is the MAC address of CAP's wireless interface (if CAP has multiple radios, you can/must use multiple provisioning rules to provision all radios).
Mind that provisioning rules are evaluated top-to-bottom, first match executes. So make sure that device-specific provisioning rules are higher than the general ones.

UpRunTech
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:28 am

My CAPs are always dynamically provisioned. Sometimes some configuration changes will cause the APs to reprovision right away automatically. Some changes don't so for these instances I do this to force all CAPs to reprovision right away.

/caps-man remote-cap
:foreach wap in=[find] do={provision $wap}

I'll throw in another command I use to force channel reselects with an optional delay to try an give APs the chance to chose a new channel without another AP trying to compete. Mikrotik probably added the option recently to randomise the time range reselect for the same reasons.

/caps-man interface
:foreach wap in=[find where master-interface=none ] do={reselect-channel $wap; :delay 60s}