Community discussions

MikroTik App

Romell
Topic Author

is there keep alive protocol on Mikrotik ?

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:19 pm

Hello ,

I want to ask , we are replacing Cisco router with Mikrotik and we are using Cisco router mainly for a lot for GRE tunnels.

My question because on Cisco by default for the GRE tunnel keep alive it's 5 4

and I know on Mikrotik I can configure it 1 1 for example so when any GRE tunnel is down I can receive a response in in 2 seconds .

The question is is there any other protocol on Mikrotik to support keep alive I mean any additional configuration to have a better result once any of these GRE tunnel is down ?

Best regards

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: is there keep alive protocol on Mikrotik ?

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:03 pm

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: is there keep alive protocol on Mikrotik ?

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:50 pm

any additional configuration to have a better result once any of these GRE tunnel is down ?
What means "better"? Does it mean "detecting a failure in less than 2 seconds"? If so, you can use bfd, which can react in tens of milliseconds, but it is not available for ROS 7 yet as of time of writing this, and it can only be used when OSPF or BGP is used on the same link. And it comes with a cost - the faster response you want, the more frequently you have to send the keepalives, i.e. the more bandwidth you waste for overhead traffic.