Community discussions

MikroTik App

Baktery
Topic Author

VPN not connecting, IPSec - required

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:32 pm

Hello,

I have vpn L2TP Server, in settings I use IPSec - required. The problem is that the client does not connect from any Windows.
In the log on Mikrotik writes error: L2TP connection rejected no IPsec encryption while it was required.
On the windows the client writes error: Cannot connect to the remote computer, so the connection port is closed.

On Mikrotik I have permission rules Firewall: Input udp 500,1701, 4500 and 50 (ipsec-esp).

When I change - use IPSec: yes. Connection is working.
Tell me what could be the reason?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VPN not connecting, IPSec - required

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:53 pm

use-ipsec=yes permits use of IPsec to protect L2TP sessions, but does not enforce it, so if the client tries to establish the L2TP connection without previously establishing an IPsec security association, Mikrotik accepts that unprotected session.

By default, the Windows native VPN client has the same setting - it prefers an IPsec-protected connection but if it cannot be established, it connects using bare L2TP anyway.

Now there are two possible reasons - either the encryption and authentication algorithm sets (proposals) are incompatible between the client and the server, or your ISP is blocking IPsec ports (the dialect of English you use suggests it could be the case). But let's be optimistic and belive it is just a configuration issue. As you say that "client does not connect from any Windows", does it mean Android, Mikrotik, iOS, or Linux clients do connect successfully even if use-ipsec is set to required?

Baktery
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:14 pm

use-ipsec=yes permits use of IPsec to protect L2TP sessions, but does not enforce it, so if the client tries to establish the L2TP connection without previously establishing an IPsec security association, Mikrotik accepts that unprotected session.

By default, the Windows native VPN client has the same setting - it prefers an IPsec-protected connection but if it cannot be established, it connects using bare L2TP anyway.

Now there are two possible reasons - either the encryption and authentication algorithm sets (proposals) are incompatible between the client and the server, or your ISP is blocking IPsec ports (the dialect of English you use suggests it could be the case). But let's be optimistic and belive it is just a configuration issue. As you say that "client does not connect from any Windows", does it mean Android, Mikrotik, iOS, or Linux clients do connect successfully even if use-ipsec is set to required?

Yes, you are right, it connects from Android. What encryption settings on Mikrotik will be compatible with Windows 10/11 ?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:46 pm

What encryption settings on Mikrotik will be compatible with Windows 10/11 ?
The default ones (which the L2TP server uses to generate the IPsec settings dynamically if use-ipsec is set to yes or required) normally do. So you have probably changed them to make the Android happy?

/ip ipsec profile:
dh-group=modp2048,modp1024 dpd-interval=2m dpd-maximum-failures=5 enc-algorithm=aes-128,3des hash-algorithm=sha1 lifetime=1d name=default nat-traversal=yes proposal-check=obey

/ip ipsec proposal:
auth-algorithms=sha1 disabled=no enc-algorithms=aes-256-cbc,aes-192-cbc,aes-128-cbc lifetime=30m name=default pfs-group=modp1024

You should enable logging and see what is the strongest encryption and authentication algorithm offered by Windows. Also something is telling me that WIndows do not support pfs by default and you need PowerShell to tell them otherwise.

Baktery
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:14 pm

What encryption settings on Mikrotik will be compatible with Windows 10/11 ?
The default ones (which the L2TP server uses to generate the IPsec settings dynamically if use-ipsec is set to yes or required) normally do. So you have probably changed them to make the Android happy?

/ip ipsec profile:
dh-group=modp2048,modp1024 dpd-interval=2m dpd-maximum-failures=5 enc-algorithm=aes-128,3des hash-algorithm=sha1 lifetime=1d name=default nat-traversal=yes proposal-check=obey

/ip ipsec proposal:
auth-algorithms=sha1 disabled=no enc-algorithms=aes-256-cbc,aes-192-cbc,aes-128-cbc lifetime=30m name=default pfs-group=modp1024

You should enable logging and see what is the strongest encryption and authentication algorithm offered by Windows. Also something is telling me that WIndows do not support pfs by default and you need PowerShell to tell them otherwise.

for Android, I did not specifically configure anything on the router, it worked automatically

These are my default profile settings (in the attachment)
How to find out what encryption is used Windows?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:29 pm

/system logging add topics=ipsec,!packet

Then run /log print follow-only file=ipsec-start where topics~"ipsec", make a single connection attempt from the client, stop the /log print ..., download the file ipsec-start.txt and look for "proposal" in it.

Baktery
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:52 pm

/system logging add topics=ipsec,!packet

Then run /log print follow-only file=ipsec-start where topics~"ipsec", make a single connection attempt from the client, stop the /log print ..., download the file ipsec-start.txt and look for "proposal" in it.

Here is what I get
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:31 pm

Unfortunately you have to open the terminal window and use the text commands I gave. The GUI will not show you what you need as too many lines of log are generated to fit into the memory buffer.

Baktery
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:57 pm

Unfortunately you have to open the terminal window and use the text commands I gave. The GUI will not show you what you need as too many lines of log are generated to fit into the memory buffer.

I'm trying to connect but no new entries appear

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:00 pm

Now press Ctrl-C and open the file ipsec-start.txt that has appeared in the file list.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:09 pm

in windows you have to go to security settings of the vpn connection and introduce ipsec PSK (pre shared key)

Baktery
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:49 pm

Now press Ctrl-C and open the file ipsec-start.txt that has appeared in the file list.

That's all it has

# jul/ 6/2022 18:48:45 by RouterOS 6.49.5
# software id = ZJ3M-ESHW
#

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:53 pm

In that case, @chechito is right and you haven't configured the Windows to use IPsec (while still assuming that the ISP doesn't interfere given that Android connects allright).

Baktery
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:55 pm

In that case, @chechito is right and you haven't configured the Windows to use IPsec (while still assuming that the ISP doesn't interfere given that Android connects allright).

tell me how to configure Windows to use IPsec ? where can i read about it

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:01 pm

Well, rather you tell me how you've managed to configure it without IPsec :)

When I add a VPN connection the "new" (Win10) way, I can choose between "L2TP/IPsec with certificate" and "L2TP/IPsec with pre-shared key" (plus a few other possibilities not related to L2TP), but there's no choice of bare L2TP. So I choose the "L2TP/IPsec with PSK", fill in the PSK, and that's it.

Baktery
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:08 am

Well, rather you tell me how you've managed to configure it without IPsec :)

When I add a VPN connection the "new" (Win10) way, I can choose between "L2TP/IPsec with certificate" and "L2TP/IPsec with pre-shared key" (plus a few other possibilities not related to L2TP), but there's no choice of bare L2TP. So I choose the "L2TP/IPsec with PSK", fill in the PSK, and that's it.

I do everything exactly the same, it's very strange, but it doesn't work

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:46 am

Is the Android client connecting from the same network like the Windows? I.e. could it be that connections to port 500 and 4500 are indeed blocked somewhere on the path between the Windows and the Mikrotik, but not on the path between the Android and the Mikrotik?

Can you run Wireshark on the Windows to see whether they are sending packets to UDP port 500 on the Mikrotik address?

Baktery
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:58 pm

Is the Android client connecting from the same network like the Windows? I.e. could it be that connections to port 500 and 4500 are indeed blocked somewhere on the path between the Windows and the Mikrotik, but not on the path between the Android and the Mikrotik?

Can you run Wireshark on the Windows to see whether they are sending packets to UDP port 500 on the Mikrotik address?

Android is on the same network as Windows.
launched Wireshark, I see that during the connection attempt is used port 1701. I can't find the port 500 in the list

Baktery
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:33 pm

Maybe I did not indicate an important detail, RouterOS is installed on a virtual machine. There is no such problem on the hardware Mikrotik.
And yet, the connection between routers with IPSec works, the policy is established. It turns out that IPSec does not work in the client-server version.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:06 pm

Does the Android client connect to this virtual RouterOS?

Could it be that there is an external firewall between the virtual RouterOS and the internet? The thing is that for a site-to-site IPsec, both routers actively initiate the connection, so the virtual RouterOS opens a pinhole in the external firewall and thus the firewall lets through packets from the remote router.