Community discussions

MikroTik App

dkong
just joined
Topic Author

mAP (not Lite) unstable WiFi issue

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:59 pm

Dear Mikrotik users,
I bought a hAP AC2, a mAP and a mAP Lite to play around with. I gave them all mostly similar config. The hAP AC2 and the mAP Lite are working perfect.

The mAP gives a strange unstable WiFi issue however. Compared to the mAP Lite, the WiFI LED blinks on/off about once per second. The mAP Lite blinks more like an activity LED on a switch interface or like the HDD LED that your old desktop computers had. When connected from my laptop to the mAP, the WiFi connection stays up (also according to the logs in the mAP), but pinging the bridge interface that the WiFi interface is connected to gives very intermittent results. I get a couple of succesful pings, then a couple of failed ones, in no particular pattern. Pinging through the mAP to 8.8.8.8 gives the same result. When I connect a cable and try again, the device is stable and rock solid. It's rather unsuspected as I try the same tests between my three different devices and only the mAP gives this behavior. All of the gear is running Routeros 7.3.1. Can someone give me some pointers to resolve this?
# jul/06/2022 17:52:21 by RouterOS 7.3.1
# software id = AGI6-DX5K
#
# model = RBmAP2nD
# serial number = HCD07X2YWVH
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1 protocol-mode=none vlan-filtering=yes
/interface list
add comment=defconf name=WAN
add comment=defconf name=LAN
/interface lte apn
set [ find default=yes ] ip-type=ipv4 use-network-apn=no
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys name=wpa2 supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX default-forwarding=no disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge name=wlan2.4 security-profile=wpa2 ssid=map \
    wireless-protocol=802.11
/ip pool
add name=lan-pool ranges=192.168.255.100-192.168.255.199
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=lan-pool interface=bridge1 name=lan-dhcp
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 comment=defconf interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge1 comment=defconf interface=wlan2.4
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=LAN
/ip settings
set max-neighbor-entries=8192
/ipv6 settings
set disable-ipv6=yes max-neighbor-entries=8192
/interface list member
add comment=defconf interface=bridge1 list=LAN
add comment=defconf interface=ether1 list=WAN
/interface ovpn-server server
set auth=sha1,md5
/ip address
add address=192.168.255.254/24 interface=bridge1 network=192.168.255.0
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf interface=ether1
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.255.0/24 dns-server=1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1 gateway=192.168.255.254
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept established,related,untracked" connection-state=established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all not coming from LAN" in-interface-list=!LAN
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" connection-state=established,related hw-offload=yes
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept established,related, untracked" connection-state=established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" ipsec-policy=out,none out-interface-list=WAN
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
set ftp disabled=yes
set www disabled=yes
set api disabled=yes
set winbox disabled=yes
set api-ssl disabled=yes
/ip ssh
set forwarding-enabled=both
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Amsterdam
/system identity
set name=map
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=none
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
set allowed-interface-list=none

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: mAP (not Lite) unstable WiFi issue

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:10 pm

vlan-filtering=yes
Why ?

dkong
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:20 pm

vlan-filtering=yes
Why ?
It makes no sense for this particular use case, it's just a habit because most Mikrotik gear that I work with needs this setting. It doesn't affect the issue at hand because forwarding performance with a cable connected is up to spec.

I just gave the mAP a factory reset but still get similar poor WiFi behavior. A cabled connection is once again working properly.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:27 pm

/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX default-forwarding=no disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge name=wlan2.4 security-profile=wpa2 ssid=map \
    wireless-protocol=802.11
From your code above, set the band to band=2ghz-g/n, channel width to channel-width=20mhz and the frequency not to auto, but instead either try to find the least crowded frequency or try the non overlapping ones which are 1, 6 and 11...
Then test again...
It doesn't affect the issue
I was curious why it is enabled...

dkong
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:58 pm

Thank you Zacharias! Removing the "b" support from the 2ghz band, together with setting the channel-width to 20mhz only, makes a lot of difference. I set the frequency manually too. Performance is now good enough for me. I don't expect a lot of these little boxes, they're just for carrying in my backpack, using as a USB to serial device that you can access over WiFi so I can sit just outside the data center noise.

I think my home WiFi (Aruba Instant On) is messing with the mAP WiFi too. Maybe some kind of rogue AP protection. They have mostly default config and the Aruba web interface doesn't allow you to change and monitor a lot of things.

For now I'm very happy, so thanks again for the tips. I changed the same settings on the mAP Lite and on the hAP AC2 as well, it improved performance on those a bit too.