Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

VLAN on a bridge with a physical interface

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:29 pm

With reference to VLAN in bridge with a physical interface
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:L ... _interface

I would like to ask does VLAN filtering only just apply to the bridge it's set up for ! Or can this action effect other bridges setup on a device?
I have multiple bridges setup on a RB960 using the old method and don't want to be locked out

example from wiki
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1 vlan-filtering=yes
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1 pvid=99
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether2
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=bridge1 tagged=ether2 untagged=ether1 vlan-ids=99

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN on a bridge with a physical interface

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:47 pm

To answer the question exactly as it was asked, vlan-filtering affects only the bridge on which you activate it. But if you currently have multiple interface vlan linked to the same ethernet interface, and you bridge the tagless ends of /interface vlan together (aka bridge-per-vlan configuration), conversion of such configuration to the common-bridge-for-all-vlans one may be more complicated. Maybe better to post the current configuration for a review?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:09 pm

I have multiple bridges setup on a RB960
To me that defeats the purpose of VLANs...
RB960 supports VLANs under the Switch menu... So why would you make multiple Bridges ?

If you enable VLAN filtering everything will be done in software in that specific device ...
Also, when multiple Bridges are created, only one will be hardware offloaded...

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:58 pm

I have multiple bridges setup on a RB960
To me that defeats the purpose of VLANs...
RB960 supports VLANs under the Switch menu... So why would you make multiple Bridges ?

If you enable VLAN filtering everything will be done in software in that specific device ...
Also, when multiple Bridges are created, only one will be hardware offloaded...
This was the method used when the RB960 was originally setup and predated Mikrotik OS version option of using a single bridge ?

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:03 pm

To answer the question exactly as it was asked, vlan-filtering affects only the bridge on which you activate it. But if you currently have multiple interface vlan linked to the same ethernet interface, and you bridge the tagless ends of /interface vlan together (aka bridge-per-vlan configuration), conversion of such configuration to the common-bridge-for-all-vlans one may be more complicated. Maybe better to post the current configuration for a review?
I forgot to mention that all by bridges have protocol-mode=none,

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:06 pm

The recommended method ( in terms of hardware performance ) for that particular device, is the switch menu, since that way you will not loose the Hardware offload on your Bridge interface...
Other than that, you can use the Bridge VLAN filtering, but you will certainly have a performance drop...

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:32 pm

There will be little difference in performance between the old-style multiple bridges and a single VLAN-aware bridge, so whilst configuring the switch chip would improve performance it may not be necessary.

It is certainly possible to migrate from the old-style multiple bridges to a single bridge without interrupting operation on ROS v6, I haven't tried on v7 to see if any changes to the underlying linux bridge/interface/vlan implementation affect it.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:36 pm

This was the method used when the RB960 was originally setup and predated Mikrotik OS version option of using a single bridge ?
It was indeed if one wanted to bridge together ports that are not connected to the switch chip. In case of hEX PoE this is SFP port. In case of some other (similar) devices (such as RB951G) this might be wireless interfaces or some other interfaces (wireless is not really the case as it can do tagging/untagging itself).

However if some VLAN spanned only ether ports, connected to same switch chip, it was always meant to configure things on switch menu as @Zacharias mentioned.

The method using multiple bridges (one bridge per vlan) was only necessary if device didn't have switch chip built in (e.g. most CCR1xxx devices). But those were always meant to be used as routers, not switches ... which means that all traffic is handled by CPU anyway and L2 HW offload doesn't play any considerable role.