just joined
Topic Author

Traffic Engineering router OS v7 issue

Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:21 pm

hello,
we Plan to implement ipv6 with Traffic Engineering,
Router OS V6 do not support ipv6 with Traffic Engineering only ipv4,
in this moment we have decisded to use Router OS v7,
we have found that Tunnel that we added always and with various configureation but still invalid and has the red color,
it seem that traffic engineering Tunnel do not work in Router OS 7,
by the way we have try only with ip4 for router OS v7 and not works

mpls/traffic-eng/tunnel/print
i get with above command this result:
primary path hop address family different

i need help from experts.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Traffic Engineering router OS v7 issue

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:43 pm

TE should work unless you are using very old v7 build.

ahmedalhadeethi
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:48 pm

TE should work unless you are using very old v7 build.
I updated to 7.4rc1 with no success, always the same error.
please when anyone has knowledge to answer.
actually what does this error message mean?
"primary path hop address family different"

i need help please

ahmedalhadeethi
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:18 pm

there is no solution for this bug?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:28 pm

Are you using IPv6 in the underlay as well?

ahmedalhadeethi
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:13 am

no i don't use ipv6, there is probably a bug because if i add the hops via commandline then the interface is normally black but the hops has disappeared in the window, and what i also noticed is that the TE interface never appears in the interface list for version 7, you can't set an ip address for it.

ahmedalhadeethi
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:58 pm

No Answer?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:29 pm

You cannot use TE tunnel directly, you have to set up something that can use TE as a transport, like VPLS then add IP address to the VPLS.

DiegoMax
just joined

Re: Traffic Engineering router OS v7 issue  [SOLVED]

Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:39 am

There is a bug with winbox (tested on latest 3.37) causing the hops not to be displayed or set correctly when using the UI, as seen on the image below.
winbox.png
Setting the hops via cli works just fine.

This is what is causing the issues the person above was pointing out.

@mrz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DiegoMax
just joined

Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:40 am

You cannot use TE tunnel directly, you have to set up something that can use TE as a transport, like VPLS then add IP address to the VPLS.
Just quoting you so that hopefully you get the notification and report this bug to the dev team.
See my post above for details on winbox bug.
Last edited by DiegoMax on Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ahmedalhadeethi
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:38 am

yes exactly what i pointed to, and i did not understand, how do you mean by cannot used directly? in version 6 i used to use TE directly and for version 7 there is no new documentation that explain new method to use TE interfaces, please i need an answer.
Last edited by ahmedalhadeethi on Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

DiegoMax
just joined

Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:49 am

yes exactly what i pointed to, and i did not understand, how do you mean by cannot used directly? in version 6 i used to use TE directly and for version 7 there is no new documentation that explain new method to use TE interfaces
There is no "new method" its just a winbox bug. If you want to use TE you need to set the tunnel path hops manually using the CLI.

ahmedalhadeethi
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:57 am

yes exactly what i pointed to, and i did not understand, how do you mean by cannot used directly? in version 6 i used to use TE directly and for version 7 there is no new documentation that explain new method to use TE interfaces
There is no "new method" its just a winbox bug. If you want to use TE you need to set the tunnel path hops manually using the CLI.
i understand the bug, but there is also other problem, that te TE tunnel is useless because it do not apeer in interface list, not anywhere els. and then it cannot be used by routing or ip setting

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:43 pm

it works on my end, but..still i'll be not comfortable to use on productions, better stick with v6 for now

DiegoMax
just joined

Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:08 am

i understand the bug, but there is also other problem, that te TE tunnel is useless because it do not apeer in interface list, not anywhere els. and then it cannot be used by routing or ip setting
Because the TE tunnel is just an encapsulation, you should not really use the TE tunnel itself, instead use the VPLS tunnel for your firewal rules.

ahmedalhadeethi
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:29 am

Because the TE tunnel is just an encapsulation, you should not really use the TE tunnel itself, instead use the VPLS tunnel for your firewal rules.
Ok, i used to make routing over TE interface in router OS v 6. how to use firewall with VPLS for TE in V7? is there a explanation? or an example for these procedure? becaus what you say i have no idea about. can any one an exampl suggest? please
i used to apply this tutorial https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Simple_TE

DiegoMax
just joined

Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:27 pm

Ok, i used to make routing over TE interface in router OS v 6. how to use firewall with VPLS for TE in V7? is there a explanation? or an example for these procedure? becaus what you say i have no idea about. can any one an exampl suggest? please
i used to apply this tutorial https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Simple_TE
Here you have some info. But basically you need to implement VPLS tunnels on top of the TE tunnels.

https://youtu.be/7gDubOhOVdU

wifi442
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:49 am

Thank you for this post/thread. Three months later this bug is still present in v7.7b8 (WinBox 3.3.764bit). CLI only for now. Any changes attempted in winbox will corrupt the configuration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ahmedalhadeethi
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:42 pm

thanks for answer
I found a solution for the problems with help from you, it appears as you said a bug in winbox and it could be solved through terminal, that means the hops should be entered through terminal, not winbox, and the interface could also be solved with vpls via TE, thanks again for your help, I mark the topic as solved.

clambert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:38 am

The updated documentation on Traffic Engineering can be found at the following link: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Traffic+Eng. However the menu "/interface traffic-eng" shown there is not available in ROS 7.10. Have you contacted support for this issue?

dacaror
just joined

Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:37 pm

I'm also wait the update documentation. There is a bug withe the hops and the interfaces aren't able to configurate