Community discussions

MikroTik App

ventero
just joined
Topic Author

How to disable "station-roaming"

Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:31 pm

Hello,

my TP-LINK bridge AP looses wireless connection to Mikrotik every 10 minutes. I found out it could be due to "station-roaming=enabled" specified in documentation
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... on-Roaming

I exported my settings and found out that i have that enabled

set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] antenna-gain=0 band=2ghz-g/n country=\
no_country_set disabled=no frequency=auto frequency-mode=manual-txpower \
mode=ap-bridge security-profile=Home ssid=Mango station-roaming=enabled \
wps-mode=disabled
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] antenna-gain=0 band=5ghz-a/n/ac country=\
no_country_set disabled=no frequency=auto frequency-mode=manual-txpower \
mode=ap-bridge security-profile=Home ssid=Mango station-roaming=enabled \
wps-mode=disabled
/ip pool

My question is, how to disable it? I did not find this settings in Winbox - Wifi interfaces - wireless (advanced) tab. Is this settings in there somewhere?

Thank you,

Ventero

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to disable "station-roaming"

Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:26 pm

Setting station-roaming is only relevant when wireless interface is set to either mode=station or mode=station-bridge. When device operates as AP, it can't really prevent clients (e.g. TP-link) from trying to roam. You'll have to see if there's similar setting on TP-link ...

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:01 pm

You might want to consider fixing channels. And disabling 802.11a on the 5GHz band (unless you really need it). And don't forget to set country code to confirm regulations.

ventero
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:59 pm

You might want to consider fixing channels. And disabling 802.11a on the 5GHz band (unless you really need it). And don't forget to set country code to confirm regulations.
Thanks for advices,

I disabled 5GHz completely, I do not need it at all and if I understand correctly, will I save some power (watts)?
For 2.4 Ghz I set frequency mode to regulatory domain and
Country to Czech Republic(but I got error "minimal antenna gain for this country is 2"). So I wanted to change antanna gain but it is not there in winbox graphical interface. I found out that it was deleted in winbox version 6.47 and it is only available via CLI. So I found guide how to change it with this command "/interface wireless set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] antenna-gain=3". I wonder why they did that so noobs like me have hard time to change antenna gain.

I dont know what did you mean by "fixing channels". Could you tell me more please?

Back to my original problem,

I looked into my TP-LINK (WR740N) but I did not find anything that would cause disconnection. Do you have any idea what it could cause, or how to diagnose what is happening? It takes everytime 10 minutes. (Then I plug the ethernet cable from Mikrotik back to my PC and I get connection. Then I plug back TP LINK and I get connection for next 10 minutes)

After disconnect roubleshooter in windows tells
"Ethernet" does not have valid IP configuration.

and ipconfig shows this address 192.254.94.101 while my local ip address is 192.168.103.XXX

Thanks for help,

ventero