MikroTik App

zx128k
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Question about LTE signal strength

Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:18 pm

Hello folks,

Can anyone tell me if I should adjust antennas if SINR value is jumping back and forth from 0 to 12? other important values are mostly static like:

RSRP: -90 dBm
RSRQ: -12.0 dBm
SINR: 0 - 12 dB (here this value is changing frequently)
CQI: 5

At the time I installed antennas the bandwidth was 10mbps down and 5mbps up. I didn't believe my eyes when I compared it to my cell phone LTE showing 20mbps download speed when I went in the yard. My main concern is that right now, antennas are placed at the corner of my house where many building materials are mostly made by metal, so they kinda surround these antennas. So is this SINR value indicates that there is some serious noise?

Thanks!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Question about LTE signal strength

Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:12 pm

Indeed it seems you have serious problems with signal quality. RSRQ should be higher than around -5dB and CQI should be 7 or higher to get any sensible performance. Signal strength at -90dBm is a decent one.

zx128k
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:22 pm

I read about why a cell phone LTE speed may be faster than a router. Is it possible that Carrier Aggregation of the cell tower gives priority to cell phones and thus my router has a lower bandwidth?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:12 pm

LTE core network indeed knows class of terminal so it might set different QoS parameters for this device, which would then be enforced by eNodeB (cell tower). But this scenario is IMO quite improbable. MNOs usually don't care about different device types that much (they tend to care about customers' subscription plans).
The basic fact of wireless telecomunications: nothing can bring back whatever is lost due to poor signal (either low signal level or poor signal quality or both).