Community discussions

MikroTik App

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How slow should a 751ui-2HnD be?

Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:34 am

I have a 751ui-2HnD and was using it as one half of a wireless bridge. I found that it was incredibly slow, not so much with traffic but with general winbox and terminal. It would take over 10 minutes after it booted before I could login and then winbox would keep dropping out. After a while it would become more stable. I tried upgrading to 7.3.1 but that was unusable and went into a reboot loop, I was lucky to be able to connect for long enough to roll it back. It's now running ok in the same network chain once I removed it from the wireless bridge but still pretty slow. It seems to sit at 100% a lot. Traffic demands are a single user with a max 30 mbit internet but it is problematic even with no traffic.

Anyway, my question is, is this what I can expect from the 751ui? Is it just too old or is there a fault? I've read about checking flash with /sys check-disk but it doesn't have that option. Anything under /disk doesn't seem to help and I have done a check installation.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How slow should a 751ui-2HnD be?

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:18 am

Why are you running ROS7 on that device ? It's pretty old so it may be it doesn't have sufficient resources to run ROS7.
Might be better to downgrade to latest ROS6 and keep it there.

Unless there is a very specific reason you need to have ROS7 on it ?

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:09 am

Can you please share your config?
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyoulike (be aware to remove any personal information)

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How slow should a 751ui-2HnD be?  [SOLVED]

Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:45 pm

that device has only 32mb of RAM memory, so consider to work only with Routeros 6.xx with separate packages installing only the packages you need, that can save some memory

the good news is that you have 64mb of internal storage (very rare in small devices nowadays) that can help a little in management tasks

i terms of performance dont expect it to be too fast, it will be in low tier of smallest MikroTik devices like hAP-Lite but maybe with better Wi-Fi coverage thanks to the powerful radio

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:50 pm

Do not install single packages, (net)install only routeros-mipsbe-6.48.6 and disable the unused packages (hotspot, routing, mpls).
Ppp and ipv6 are optionals.
Leave active, needed or not, the dhcp and the security packages.
Disabling that packages, or not installing it, have unexpected behaviours that is not the question of this topic.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:10 pm

Why are you running ROS7 on that device ? It's pretty old so it may be it doesn't have sufficient resources to run ROS7.
Might be better to downgrade to latest ROS6 and keep it there.

Unless there is a very specific reason you need to have ROS7 on it ?
I tried v7 but very quickly rolled it back. It ran so badly that it took about 15 mins to get winbox to connect so I could downgrade. :-)

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:22 pm

Can you please share your config?
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyoulike (be aware to remove any personal information)
I've attached a short config file and a diagram. The diagram shows 3 devices, the config is for the far left device. When I run the 751 on the far left it's slow. If I use a 951 it performs quit well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:28 pm

that device has only 32mb of RAM memory, so consider to work only with Routeros 6.xx with separate packages installing only the packages you need, that can save some memory

the good news is that you have 64mb of internal storage (very rare in small devices nowadays) that can help a little in management tasks

i terms of performance dont expect it to be too fast, it will be in low tier of smallest MikroTik devices like hAP-Lite but maybe with better Wi-Fi coverage thanks to the powerful radio
Good point, for some reason I had it in my head that the 751 and 951 both had 32MB ram, but the 951 has 128MB. When I put the same config on the 951 there's no performance issues at all.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:52 pm

Do not install single packages, (net)install only routeros-mipsbe-6.48.6 and disable the unused packages (hotspot, routing, mpls).
Ppp and ipv6 are optionals.
Disabling that packages, or not installing it, have unexpected behaviours that is not the question of this topic.
I will give it a try. I don't even strictly need IPv4 and DHCP for this device as it's purely trunking vlans from 3 SSIDs and the wired ports. :-)

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:52 pm

Thanks everyone again for the great responses, I really appreciate all the help

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:54 am

So I have managed to get this device to function quite well. Considering the global chip shortage I'm glad I was able to avoid buying one new item. I think disabling packages was the big change but there was a few other things I did
- put all vlans in hardware (see post #25 here as this was not straightforward: viewtopic.php?p=947855)
- turned the radio right down. The 1W radio was so powerful it was causing wifi issues for a wireless bridge further down the line
- kept config as simple as possible. Run /export and remove anything not required
- downgraded back to ROS 6.x

Thanks to everyone that commented
Last edited by MikeKulls on Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:57 am

I've tried searching on this and can't find anything. What issues does it cause? I tried disabling both and it didn't seem to cause any issues, although also didn't seem to free up any additional memory. I can see issues surrounding uninstalling packages but nothing about disabling them.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:39 am

if you remove the security package, that containing some cryptographic features, routeros can not verify signature on packages,
and do not longer install any packages or router upgrade.
If you forgot to install security, your os and packages are stuck, until you do not netinstall...
And not installing dhcp provide some errors on components used by security package.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:49 am

if you remove the security package, that containing some cryptographic features, routeros can not verify signature on packages,
and do not longer install any packages or router upgrade.
If you forgot to install security, your os and packages are stuck, until you do not netinstall...
And not installing dhcp provide some errors on components used by security package.
And to make the circle round: this is one of the consequences with ROS7 and its monolithic structure. All basic modules are included in one and the same package.
Easier to deal with those dependencies if everything is present from the start. But size increases.

And then we get back to the resource problems for older devices running ROS7 ...

MikeKulls
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:12 am

And then we get back to the resource problems for older devices running ROS7 ...
I would have to say Mikrotik would have to be one of the most honest tech companies when it comes to keeping older devices running. If it was apple they'd release a new OS every year so after 1 year the device would get a little slow and after 2 years it would be unworkable. Cisco would put a yearly subscription on you. Other companies would use caps that bulge after a few years (eg Billion). I've got a mikrotik that's been sitting up a pole for years in the sun and still works fine, I believe they still sell it (RB912UAG-2HPnD) and I imagine the new OS would run fine on it. I think it's just the 32MB devices that are struggling. The only thing I would say is they should stop selling 32MB devices and move to 64MB minimum.