just joined
Topic Author

RB5009UG+S+IN dual power power

Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:13 pm

RB5009UG+S+IN can be powered in 3 different ways:
a) PoE-in from Ethernet port #1
b) DC Jack
c) 2-pin terminal on the side

Can I use any combination of the available power options to power the RB5009UG+S+IN in case when a power source fails ?
Last edited by nkef on Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gabacho4

Re: RB5009UG+S+IN dual power power

Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:19 pm

Yes. From what I recall reading, the router will prefer the higher voltage power source and fall back to the next source should the first fail/ be disconnected.

nkef
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:45 am

Yes. From what I recall reading, the router will prefer the higher voltage power source and fall back to the next source should the first fail/ be disconnected.
Very good news, similarly the CRS125-24G-1S-IN
has 2 DC inputs (DC jack, PoE-IN), can I assume that the same holds for it?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB5009UG+S+IN dual power power  [SOLVED]

Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:20 am

has 2 DC inputs (DC jack, PoE-IN), can I assume that the same holds for it?

It seems that all MT devices with multiple power inputs behave the same way as to powering of the device itself. It seems that all power inputs are connected to common "power bus" via diodes which make the "voltage selection" process very natural and independent of any software/firmware/... process running by any device component.

Devices able of PoE out mostly follow the same principle when providing voltage on PoE out port, only a few allow to explicitly select power source per port. Those models require different voltages on different power inputs so that they can provide low/high voltages on PoE out and in case one of power sources becomes unavailable, also PoE out ports become unpowered.

nkef
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:35 pm

One more question, can I power the CRS125-24G-1S-IN from the POE port using directly mikrotiks 24V power supply by connecting it through the rj45 by building something like the following (short of)?
FZFZY7THFPTMZQE.jpg
I just want to power it from dual DC sources from UPS in case of power failure and I don't want to waste extra power to the POE injector and splitter (dc to dc conversions e.t.c), I will loose a port of course (technically I can use it for 100 Mbits).

I think it is OK since the CRS125-24G-1S-IN has passive POE and just waits for the 8-28V DC in the RJ45 POE port.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:05 pm

Not sure about DIY PoE injectors. You may want to check MT's own RBGPOE, it's pasive by its own. You can even use it as PoE "ejector" if the other end of UTP cable is compatible (e.g. when using a pair of RBGPOEs).

Tassmeister
just joined

Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:39 am

I just had mine die when It should have been powered by both the normal barrel jack and PoE.

I had a power outage/pulled the jack and the router failed and died due to power outage.
It DID reboot and restarted again with the power of PoE, but it was not instant and caused service interruptions.

How can this be prevented in the future?
- How does it choose it's power source when several are provided and how can we make it to failover silently to the next available?