Community discussions

MikroTik App

nkrt
just joined
Topic Author

Hotspot with many users Resource Temporarily Unavailable

Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:22 pm

Hello,

i am setting up a hotspot/captive portal with >1000 users on a CHR running 7.3.1 and a trial P10 License. With few users inside, everything works as expected, but when I let the mass join the hotspot VLAN, I get an error instead of the captive portal page:

ERROR: Not found
While trying to retrieve the URL http://bla.com
- Resource temporarily unavailable

[...] Generated [...] by MikrotikHttpProxy

I already increased the max. concurrent querys in the DNS config, and the max client/server connections in the web proxy settings.
CPU/RAM Resources on the Hypervisor and the CHR are OK and available

I am surely hitting a limit in the Proxy configuration that generates the captive portal, but I can't find any settings for that.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

Nico

camilobom
just joined

Re: Hotspot with many users Resource Temporarily Unavailable

Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:17 pm

Hi Nico, I saw that you commented in my post, and we have a similar problem hehe.
So I am trying a lot of configs without success, the max concurrent clients on hotspot with trial mode that I achieve was is about 1600, but the captive portal response become very slow for about 1000 users. I am installing a CHR and see it was hardware limitations, if I get some results I will post here too.

Only one doubt,
how did you do that? --->. "I am surely hitting a limit in the Proxy configuration that generates the captive portal..."

nkrt
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:35 am

Hi @camilobom, I have a Support Ticket with Mikrotik regarding this issue and already tested two patches without success. I got confirmed that the developers are still working on a solution.
The Error I get from the Captive Portal webserver is: "Resource Temporarily Unavailable" so I assume that I am filling the reserved RAM either for the Webserver or for Iptables, and that is the Resource that becomes unavailable. But it is just guessing, there is nothing on the logs of the device. My CHR is dying much earlier, with <600 dhcp leases. If I have news to share, I'll also post here.

camilobom
just joined

Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:41 pm

Finally I solve my problem!!

I install a CHR on a dedicated server with an intel Xeon Processor and 32 GB RAM. The users now is around 3000!! and keep raising. The captive portal is not slow anymore!

The only explanation that I could imagine, its the CCR has some limitations for specific services like hotspot, where they reserve a hardware limit. I hope mikrotik fix this limitation for their boxes.
I appreciate your help! Thanks.

nkrt
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Hotspot with many users Resource Temporarily Unavailable  [SOLVED]

Mon May 08, 2023 5:50 pm

I Made a Support Ticket and the issue was solved very quickly. Thank you Mikrotik!

liviu2004
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 08, 2023 10:46 pm

Just don’t tell anyone. Keep it your secret.